12.04.2011

Movies 2011, Weeks 44-46

I've been reading a lot so movie-watching is falling out of favor. I can't seem to get into a rhythm of doing both regularly. I suppose next year is the year of that.

November 6-12, 2011
193) American Teen. Documentary about teenagers at a high school in Indiana.  It was an interesting story to watch and I really felt for some of the characters.  It seemed like an accurate high school story for I'm sure many teenagers but without more diversity than a black kid with 2 lines, of course it could only go so far for me.  Still enjoyable.  3.7 stars
194) The Topp Twins: Untouchable Girls. The story of singing comedic lesbian twins from New Zealand is a concert film with touches of their activism.  The comedy was enjoyable in spurts.  I guess I was expecting less of a concert film and more of an exploration of the women.  Beautifully shot but the story just fell a bit flat for me.  3.2 stars
195) Blair Witch Project. Wow. I hadn't seen this movie because so many people talked about how horrible it was. I already knew I wouldn't be afraid of it because it's one of those movies people either say "I was terrified" or they blank stare you.  I'd be in the blank stare category.  Pass.  2 stars
196) The Big Clock. This noir film is about a private detective who finds himself solving a murder where he is the suspect.  Very interesting and a fun watch!  The best thing about noir films is the irreverence for the characters.  ANYONE is fair game to die. When you say it like that, it sounds terrible! But for films? It's great! 4 stars
197) The Harvey Girls. Judy Garland and Angela Lansbury star in this musical about a mail order bride who joins a group of waitresses at a new whistle stop restaurant when her marriage plans fall through.  Then the towns puritans and rougher element battle for control.  Amusing enough.  3.4 stars
198) CatchingHell. OMG. The longest documentary in the entire world about a single fraction of a second event.  I didn't care anymore about SteveBartman being a scapegoat for the ChicagoCubs losing a trip to the WorldSeries in 2008.  Unless you are the ultimate fan and you feel some need to relive this forever and in excruciating detail, I don't know why you would need to watch this film. 2 stars

November 20-26, 2011
199) HappyThankYouMorePlease. Josh Radnor (Ted on "How I Met Your Mother) directs and stars in this film about a struggling writer (I know) who finds and keeps a foster kid he finds on the train until he can figure something out (I know) and the women in his life and the intertwining relationships.  As it unravels, some nice things happen in the plot.  But there are some loose ends he never quite ties and others he ties too neatly to feel real or worthy. And still it's a nice movie to watch. 3.7 stars
200) Sarah's Key. A journalist finds her family history is entangled with the story of a Jewish French girl whose family was murdered by the French during WWII.  Very moving story. The writer got lazy at some parts, relying on clichéd and overused language to push a story that really didn't need any pushing. There were times where I knew the exact line that was coming next. But for the most part, it was quite good if at times unbelievable. 3.7 stars

November 27-December 3, 2011
201) Due Date. Robert Downey, Jr. and Zack Galifianakis star in this film about two strangers who wind up driving across the country together after an airport mishap. I am SHOCKED by how much I laughed during this movie! And RDJ is PERFECT for this role! It got overly ridiculous after the first hour (of course) so that dropped it down a bit but still quite funny. 3.5 stars

3 comments:

Growing Lights said...

At last, i had enjoyed the big clock movie with my friends. All the characters were mysterious and memorable. I love the idea of the director that Hero was pursing himself.

Jameil said...

I really enjoyed that one!

Anonymous said...

That big clock movie sounds like Out of time where denzel was trying to sabotage the case cause he did it. I might download it this weekend