8.25.2011

When You Know...

Back in September, I wrote this but decided to save it until we got married.

On September 8, 2010, I had a life-altering epiphany.  I knew I wanted to marry Rashan, but for the first time it was crystal clear why.  That probably sounds crazy to somebody (and kind of to me) but it's true.  I was watching a clip of a documentary called "Ahead of Time."  A man was showing an old friend a picture of his now-deceased wife.  The friend said, "She's very beautiful."  He said (to his wife), "Good night Irene! I'll see you in my dreams" and tears sprang to my eyes.  I was instantly sad that one day (since he's so incredibly old, you know?) I'll be saying the same thing.  Far into our future... 70 years from now.  I missed him already.  I had told him before I guess it was okay if he died at 105.  I'd only be 90 then but... lolol.  I never stop digging him about his advanced years.  But he's gonna be MINE!  Til death do us part!

The tears almost come again just thinking about that moment.  We'll have beautiful children, none of them named Aaliyah, much to his chagrin, and grandchildren and maybe we'll even get to meet our great-grandchildren!  But in that moment, I thought, I can't wait to get started on our time.  When I told one of my friends I want to get married this year, she said, "What's the rush?"  (As though we haven't been together for 2 years and this man hasn't been trying to marry me for 20 months...)  I finally got to use one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite movies, "When Harry Met Sally." "When you know you want to spend the rest of your life with someone, you want the rest of your life to start as soon as possible."  I can use another of my favorite lines from that film, "When you know, you know.  Like you know a good melon!"  Hopefully cantaloupe... his favorite.

6 comments:

Naima said...

Awwwwwww!!!! *beams & dabs eyes*

akima said...

I love this! It makes me want to watch When Harry Met Sally.

I don't understand two years of dating being rushed. I have friends that married at 24, after 8 months. That felt rushed. But after 10 years, they seem quite happy. I've learned not to judge others relationship timelines because I do not welcome any judging of mine! ;-)

Not So Anonymous said...

Tear! I love that line from that movie!I'm still so very happy for you two!

ShaBoogiesince1982 said...

That was so sweet! *tears* You're so right.. "when you know.. you know!"

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

*tears streaming down face at work*
That my be the most touching thing I've heard...ever!

Jameil said...

Rose... yay! :) Thanks! Forever is underway!

Naima... :) Yours officially starts in TWO WEEKS!!!!!

akima... love that movie!! yeah... i didn't understand it either! it was more like they were saying (and it was echoed by more than one person) that the wedding was rushed. Can I get married in a few months??? Or do you need to be all up in mine?!?! i have DEFINITELY learned not to judge timelines!!

nsa... LOOOOOVE! :)

sha... :)

gp... please tell me you weren't really crying at work! lololol i meant every word!