5.03.2012

Awards and Such

When I was in undergrad, I was obsessed with awards. I wanted to win an Oscar or an Emmy or 6 (seriously... 6 was the number I chose) before I turned 30. I got slightly more realistic once I hit the real world, but I still want a bevy of awards to outfit my mantle or library one day. I haven't talked about it in a while but I made a 15-minute (but expandable) documentary about the grandfather I never met for my MFA thesis. He died 41 years ago, 11 years before I was born and no one ever really talked about him. Not my mom or her four brothers or my grandfather. So I made this film to find out more about him. Really to find out anything other than he was a preacher and a World War II veteran. I'd only ever seen one or two pictures. I found dozens more pictures and learned more than I could have ever imagined including the fact that he fought for civil rights in Mississippi. It was pretty amazing.

Fast forward to last month. I entered my film into the Student Academy Awards. I was terrified. And then shocked when I learned I was one of 10 regional finalists in the documentary category. My region has more than 40 states! Nationwide, more than 500 people sent in their films in multiple categories. At this point, I had a 1/3 chance of making it to the national competition in L.A. I was so nervous. I went back and forth over whether or not I wanted to win. I know! What a nut job!

Once I decided I definitely wanted to win but was scared to hope for it (again... really?), I found out I didn't make it past the regional finals. I was crushed but still pretty proud and amazed that my little old film made it that far. I was so amused thinking of how amused my grandfather probably would've been! Can you imagine that I didn't tell anyone because I didn't want to have to tell them if I didn't make it to the next round? I don't know what's wrong with me. I'll do better the next time I'm up for an award and every time one of my films gets into a festival. My film was a regional finalist! Amazing... Oh I know you're probably going to ask how you can see it. Festivals are funny about people seeing things before they get to screen them so after I scrape up some money to enter it in festivals and screen it, I'll make sure you guys get to see it!

11 comments:

K. Rock said...

That is an awesome accomplishment! Congratulations. It must feel good to be recognized for something you love doing.

Trish said...

That's great!! As many goals as you conquer, I'm sure your award goal will be a piece of cake!! I can't wait to see your film.

Also, I'm the same way with sharing news. Sometimes I make my own self sick....

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! That's quite an achievement.

Adei von K said...

:-)))))))))))

and ditto Trish! you accomplish goals for fun!

Liz Dwyer said...

I do this same thing--managing expectations because I'm scared of what *might* happen if something good happens--or ends up not happening. Still, so proud of you. And come to LA anyway. We can have a screening at my house!

Sparkling Red said...

Nice work! *big thumbs up*

I look forward to seeing your film when you're allowed to share it.

akima said...

Um, that's pretty flipping cool... Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, that's a fantastic accomplishment no matter how you look at it.

I'm looking forward to watching the film whem you're able to share.

Ladynay said...

Very nice! The Emmy is coming! When you are nominated will be the only time I will actually watch the awards show! hahahahahahaha...but seriously :)

Anonymous said...

My theory: We know when we are good. We just need to make sure that I good-ness is understand and recognized by those in the judging seats.

I want to see all of your works before you get to be tooooo big for little ol' us.

Good job on a special project with your grandfather.

Jameil said...

k... thanks!

trish... lol i'm going to rack up some awards! we've got to stop doing that!

missez b... thanks!

adei... goal smash!

liz... insane! like we have any control over most of it anyway. i'm itching to get to California!

red, akima, bella & lady... thanks!

mamasez... there are always things I would do differently but I'm very proud of the film. thank you!