1.02.2008

Classic Jameil: Beetnik

This may shock you... but I'm a bit stubborn. Yes, yes, I know. Use your hand to close your mouth. It's true. That's not to say that I'm uncompromising, but that I know my tastes and what I will and will not stand for. I've gotten more flexible in my old(er) age. When I was I don't know, let's say 8 or 9, my mom made beets for dinner. Ew. Ew. And more ew!! Things Jameil did not eat then and does not eat now: beets, turnips, liver, okra, rutabagas!! Those may be the nastiest of the nasties. There was likely more but in general I was a good eater. I tried all of them and knew for a FACT that I did not like them. Nasty on a plate if you ask me. No love in your mouth. (ooh uh oh oh uh oh no love, no loooove in ya mouth)

I've never had brussel sprouts because neither of my parents like them. Score there so I hear. I have only once heard a positive thing about a brussel sprouts. Back to that night many years ago, my sister and I ate everything on our plates but the beets. Mommy was not playing that night. She said, "You will sit at that table until you clean your plate." CHALLEEEEEEENGE!!

You know what the kid was thinking: I will sit at this table all night if I have to!! My sister was likely thinking some version of that but only lasted about 30 minutes. You know how long I lasted? 2 hours. So long that my mother finally told me to get up and leave the table. LOVE IT!!! That is one of the proudest moments of my childhood. Lol. What does that say about me?

At Sev.iche Stace and I instantly ruled out one preparation because it had beets in it. AAAANT! Wrong... WRONG! J-meezy is not down for the beets. Still. Keep it movin!

16 comments:

Sparkling Red said...

Brussels sprouts taste more or less the same as turnips. And if you ask me, they both taste like fart. (Pardon my French)

Tasha said...

I'm with you on the beets. Someone tried to sneak one of those bad boys in a salad they'd made, and I could smell the beets a mile away. The salad stayed in the office fridge for about six weeks.

Chris said...

uh...beets? You get on me for not liking Mac N Cheese and you staged a Woolworth Counter Sit-In over beets? Alllllllrighty then!

Jameil said...

red... disgusting. glad i haven't had any. je parle francais et "fart"? ce n'est pas francais!! lol

tasha... eeeeeeeeeewwww!!

chris. really? are you really comparing mac & cheese to beets? you lost that one before you even got it out of your mouth. BEETLESS OR DIE!!

Rell said...

Beets -- oh my gosh. When I was about 9, I threw up on the table instead of eating them, just to spite my mother.

Turns out, she spited me by getting our her "switch" and brush and went to town on my tail.

Momisodes said...

Girl, I don't blame you. I never had beets as a child because my Chinese parents just don't do beets....score there since I tried them later and as an adult. I nearly launched that nasty red and slimy disk flying across the restaurant!

Open Grove Claudia said...

That's hilarious. My parents would move to me the cold backporch where I would sit for hours. Finally I discovered that I could bury the food in the backyard. My father was always amazed at how well those strawberries did.... lol!

Happy New Year. You and I have such similar opinions at Los Angelista I figured I should wander over.

I love the shoes!

yet another black guy said...

i think this is the first post about food that you've written that didn't make me mad AND hungry lol!

beets can bite me. and they usually do.

Jameil said...

rell... i threw up, too after a bite. she was pissed but i didn't get hit. i also still wasn't allowed to leave the table. like i said, i think she was really pissed about something that day because there was never another such food incident. it was just, "try it but you don't have to eat it."

sandy... are you thanking God RIGHT NOW for your Chinese parents? b/c i think you should! beets are horrendous.

claud... thx! and welcome! lmao@burying the food. where are you from that it was a cold back porch?

black... lol. they can bite me, too. i almost got sad abt not making you hungry. then i realized yeah they're beets!! lol. i guess that means i did my job well in the other direction! yay!

Rashan Jamal said...

Good to know that you have always been stubborn and its not just with me. LOL

Adei von K said...

yeah, there is nothing young, flashy, fly, sexy, seductive, fabulous about beets. i don't care if they're served at Seviche, not touching it.

oh yeah, they are nasty too.

Adei von K said...

this post is huh-larious! i just read everyone's comments and I have a rell like story.

wasn't feeling the okra mom made, wasn't eating it. stayed at the table, sent to another table, got my ass WAXED and sent to bathe cause somehow, okra got in between my ass and the spatula mom used...

*lol*

Jameil said...

rj... lol. no, you are no special!

stace... that okra bathing story is disgusting. as are beets. but on the real i don't think you had to share that. nas.ty.

Anonymous said...

I hate beets as well, whenever we had to donate canned goods I would take all the beets and anything else nasty I didn't like.

proacTiff said...

I think this brief interlude of a post/story was fabulous enough for me to at least try them in a salad. My mom does. I do indulge in the reds, but I've yet to try in a salad, at a bar-buffet. And my son, the little lion, is so fugging stubborn when it comes to for-dear-life and not eating his unfavorite foods. Because I brought him into this world, and know the waiting game better than he since I'm five times his age, he came up with a far better scheme the last time we had the nasty-fare-power-struggle: His ass threw up and gagged at. the. table. behind a bite of spinach. I swear I almost made him come back and eat it after he finshed in the bathroom! Smart-ass... Guess what the little Leo had for breakfast while his sisters ate something hearty? Wholesome spinach beeotches!

I brought you in this world... You gone eat that spinach. *LMBAO*

True story.

Jameil said...

everything... me too!! lol. we're horrible.

pro... MEAN MOMMY!! i think my mom considered that, too. beets are dis.gus.ting. i think popeye was created for children like yours. lol. the cartoonist HAD to have had a kid who hated spinach.