5.09.2008

It's on the Map!

Classy Jojo and I would go to football games senior year at Hampton and yell out today's date in call and response form, "MAY 9TH! (MAY 9TH!) IT'S ON THE MAP! (IT'S ON THE MAP!)" The date of our graduation. Senior year we went to games mostly so we could Rock the Blue and White! "STOP AND LET THE SENIORS DO IT!!" You wait 3 years just so you can yell that at games and then you go CRAZY!!! Hahahahaha. It's also fun to "STOP AND LET ALUMNI DO IT!!!" Yeah my first homecoming I went NUTS!!! Go ahead go nuts go ape --. We had a blast senior year. Events including but not limited to: Smoke & Fire (black and red cabaret attire only), the White Out (all white cabaret attire only), Senior Ball and the Senior Sip & Bowl (hands down one of my favorites). We were ballin out all year! It was one giant party!! And let's not even mention the fact that I went to the beach every single day for my last week as an undergrad. There was a beach just 10 minutes from campus. Tell me that's not fantastic.

But this time 4 years ago I was blatantly ignoring attending my graduation. Hours earlier, at exactly midnight, we crossed O.gden Circle for the first time. (Hamptonians, did you know they added flags???) At Hampton, one of the first things you are told is not to cross O.gden Circle. We tell people on tours and the freshman class when they get there. While giving tours, I have specifically told people disrespectful of the tradition who walk across it not to even bother coming. It's that serious. I know at least 3 people who crossed O.gden Circle and did not graduate on time. Two of them never graduated from Hampton. My mother knows people from her class. Everyone who went to Hampton knows those people. Don't cross the circle. It is actually an ancient Indian burial ground as well.

The first time you can ever cross Ogden is at midnight on the day of your graduation. You have your financial and academic clearance card and you are graduating. At exactly midnight, you count down, then run screaming and yelling across Ogden with your drink in hand (lol, of course... and for the record I was drinking Select & coke). It's the most amazing feeling in the world!! I loved it!!!! It was even more special because I had years of build up with my mother being an alumna. And she was there, too. AWESOME!!! And after the running, you link arms on the steps to sing the alma mater (still one of my favorite songs). I like to sing it at the top of my lungs in the shower. The sorority hymn and "Lift Every Voice and Sing" are also frequently in the line up.

I can't believe it's been 4 years. We did it, Quintessence V! We have reunions every 5 years and Doll's 5 year is this year. I know you're celebrating so rock out girl! Amazing. Time flies when you're taking over the world!

For the record, I can't stand graduations. I understand what they represent but the ceremonies bore me to tears. My high school graduation I completely zoned out. I spent the whole time turned around talking to my friend Andrea. That's how my mom found me in the crowd of 200 or so. I don't remember anymore how many people were in my class. I was the one completely facing away from the stage the entire time. Hahahahahaha. At Hampton, I was surrounded by my friends from the journalism school so it was even worse. Except this time no one was paying attention. Our speaker was the university president. Booo. The class before us had Mr. Jello Pudding but I heard he was outrageously off topic. Didn't matter. I can't imagine who you could possibly invite to speak that I want to hear on that day. I just want you to hand me my sheet of paper and let me go on my way. The highlight was definitely the speech of our class dictator president. Lol. He was our prez all 4 years and we loved him. He's fun. And no, I wasn't drunk or hung over because I had been warned sitting in the hot sun on the football field in that condition was grounds for vomiting and that's never hot.

Next week my sister, the baby, graduates from UNCG with a degree in graphic design. Get it girl! (That's us at our sorority's regionals in 2005. She won a talent competition, hence the tiara.)

After this, I pray I will not be asked to attend any more graduation ceremonies until my children graduate. Since I don't have any, I should be in the clear for at least 20 years. Praise Jesus! (I guess I have to go to my nephew's high school graduation but I have about 10 years so I suppose I can do that after a decade-long hiatus.)

18 comments:

La said...

OMG I HATE graduations. If I woulda known how wack my (first) graduation ceremony was gonna be I woulda kept my tired (read: drunk) ass at home.

Southerner in Suomi said...

Me and a teammate sat playing on our phones until it was time to walk across the stage. I have no idea what the speech was. Lol.

Once again, I wish I went to a smaller school with more of my people cause we could never do stuff like that.

GreatWhyte said...

Ancient Indian burial ground... That cracks me up every time I hear it! Loooove the alma mater **sigh** I'll be singing it Sunday in my head

Rashan Jamal said...

I dont recall ever graduating at all...

College graduation was pretty much a blur thanks to a night of intoxication the night before. Also, the speaker kind of talked like Ben Stein, but I think it was a woman.

Yeah, I can't remember.

p_nami said...

Sitting in the hot sun, in all black, listening to Bill talk about n***ers. It's funny, my 5 yrs is on Sunday...graduation day for this year's class.

For the record, I don't know anyone who crossed Ogden and still graduated.

Congrats to the little sis!

the joy said...

They mean so much, but they are SO boring! I fell asleep at my own graduation.

Gosh you and your sis are almost twins!

Sparkling Red said...

My butt fell asleep at my university graduation. It was in an old hall with wooden chairs. Bah! We worked so hard - we deserved some cushioning!

Jazzy said...

I realized how wack graduation was after junior high. I didn't even go to the one in high school...even though my mother threatened and begged - couldn't do it! I did attend my nephew's graduation last year though...beaming like the proud Auntie I am, as he was called on stage for award after award and even a trophy! lol

Wow @ the circle. Cracking up at the ill-fated who dared cross that circle early. Creepy!!!!

Momisodes said...

Oh how I share your dislike for graduations. Every time I get an invite, I'm guilty of just sending a card and a monetary gift.

The Ogden tradition sounds incredible! I can just imagine you running with your select and coke :)

Ladynay said...

Me no likey graduations, barely want to go to my own in December.

Early congrats to the baby sis!

I will save my questions till next time :-)

Oh yeah, YAY! re:going to the loctician!

Open Grove Claudia said...

Wow. I can't even imagine going to a place where everyone knows everyone. In fact, the thought makes me want to vomit! ;)

JayBee said...

so it's not just me? i cannot stand graduations....don't care too much about weddings either. ya sis goes to uncg? small world after all.

Chris said...

I should be marching next Sunday since I got my degree in August, but I passed. Six years at DSU was pretty much enough, and as long as I can look at my degree (which I do daily) I don't regret missing out on the pomp and circumstance...that's because I'm weird though, lol

Jameil said...

La... graduations are for the birds.

v... we weren't allowed to have phones but i was the only person who followed that rule. smaller schools are hot.

x... glad i could be of service. the alma mater is love.

rj... um... problem.

doll... good ol ignant bill. someone didn't read this whole thing b/c i specifically mentioned you...

joy... awful. people have asked us if we were twins our entire lives.

red... i know that's right!! cushions or else!!!

diva... graduation is horridnessocity. i can't believe you didn't go! you're mean to your mommy!! yay for your nephew! the circle is no joke!!!

sandy... girl i will SO be doing that. puhlease. i'm not going to your crappy ceremony. ogden is so fab!! i need to pull out some pics. matter of fact i have a pic from that day! i forgot it! the drink was FAB! i've been talking about select a lot lately. clearly i need to get some. lol.

lady... alright. i'll allow you to wait until next time or you can ask now. do you. who knows when next time will come. maybe nov. this daily blogging thing... might come in june! lol. i kid! locs are hot.

claud... oh i love it! it gets weary sometimes but most of the time its fab. everyone doesn't know everyone... just me... lol. b/t me and my friend chantee we had the whole school. lolol.

jb... from these comments it's apparently everyone who doesn't like graduation. i like weddings of people i love. otherwise pass. tho i do like to watch them on tv. not too often you get invited to strangers' weddings tho so maybe i like all weddings. idk.

chris... see answer to jb. that's normal. graduations are wack.

Jarrod said...

Definitely crossed Ogden freshman year...still graduated on time. But thanks for making me feel old. It'll be three years since I graduated. Wow...

Desy said...

i am really debating the one for my master's program.... the ridiculousness of it all is too much for me... all of that for a span of 3.25 seconds when they call my name and i walk across the stage...

but my family (especially my dad) would like to relive the whole degree ceremony once again... in fact he's pushing for me to get a doctorate so he can hear the phrase Dr. (insert last name here)...

Jameil said...

jarrod... you are the first we know of. we can't help that you're elderly. grab your cane.

desy... you know parents live for that stuff. just humor them.

Veronica Marché said...

I remember being solemnly warned about some mystical circle when I (and 50 other young Pittsburghers) were on campus during our black college tour.

And I also remember thinking...

"Hampton folks are nuts."

:-)