I'm fasting today for a program the Muslims on campus are having. For every person who fasts they/local restaurants will donate a pound of food. And tonight we'll break the fast with free food on campus! Either Indian or Mediterranean. Either way, works for me! And I've been up for about 3 hours. 6 hours to go. That's not bad! I can do it! I'm going to the gym today and out with the black grad students tonight. I'll be busy today! Anyway despite my food-free daylight hours, I'm going to grace you with this delightful TT!
1) "Hi there. I'm Rachael Ray and I make 30 Minute Meals. That means in the time it takes you to watch this program, I'll have made a delicious and healthy meal from start to finish." Who doesn't want to be able to have that? Yes, I've seen the show so many times I've memorized that opening shpiel WHICH SHE CHANGED this season along with her set. It really hurt my heart a little.
2) EVOO: Extra virgin olive oil. She uses it incessantly and now I do, too. I'll have it in my home before any other and I buy more before I run out.
3) Everyday with Rachael Ray: My mom got me this magazine subscription for Christmas last year and I was OVERJOYED! YAY!!
4) Perkiness: This is not an automatic with me because overly happy people annoy me as Grinch as that sounds but with her it translates into enthusiasm.
5) Inspiration: She taught me a lot of recipes and cooking techniques and inspired me to get in the kitchen.
6) Yum-o. It's just so apropos! And funny. Another one of her coined words.
7) $40 A Day: This show taught me to ask EVERYONE about the best places to eat. I've found some DELISH (another Rach word) places by doing this.
8) Birthday buddies!: Ours are just days apart! Hers is the 25th of August, mine is the 23rd! Yay!
9) Ground turkey: another thing I use in just about everything now that I never would have. I barely even like ground beef anymore. I'm also about to experiment with ground chicken-- another Rach suggestion.
10) MEXICAN FOOD!! AHHH!! She made this so accessible to me at home that it actually made me want to go out and try it more as well. Now as it is well known in all the blog world J'AIME IT!!!! I will go ahead and but chipotle (not the restaurant) in here, too since she got me on that and I mostly use it in Mexican.
11) Black beans. Oh black beans! Said it loud, I love black beans and I'm proud! And not just in Mexican. I got this black bean stoup recipe from 365: No Repeats (one of her books) that is DIVINE!!
12) "You're only learning a method." Rach taught me to experiment when I cook. Learn whatever she's cooking, then amend the recipe adding and subtracting and substituting to suit my personal tastes.
13) Spices! I was already on oregano (my fave) but she taught me it means joy of the mountain! I was up on a few others, too, but I use them more and I've really added cumin to my repertoire. Mmm!
*I know you're wondering, "Where was Jameil's mama and why didn't she teach her this stuff??" My mom was busy working and going back to school while my dad was traveling a lot for work (for weeks at a time) when we were younger so she had no time to teach us to cook. Then when she had time I didn't want to learn anymore. But yes, my mom can cook and I definitely call her when Rach won't answer my calls. Lololol. Thanks Rach!!