I'll put the results in bold with an asterisk before going into December's goals.
1) Try new recipe twice a week. Seeing as I now subscribe to Every Day with Rachael Ray AND Food Network magazine (which has a ridiculous amount of recipes!!) I should really put those to use. I also have a ridiculous number of RR cookbooks with a new one out this month (yesterday in fact and you know I want it even though it will be number 7!!)... I should use this stuff!!!
Oh yeah! I think there was only one week where I tried one new recipe but there was a week where I tried 3 so we're even! Yay!!! Total I made Mexican rice bowls, brined chicken & creamed spinach, mushroom risotto, peach pie smoothie, Thai Turkey burgers (and I froze the leftovers; defrosted & subbed the leftover raita from the Pakistani dinner for the pineapple salsa: DELISH!!), chicken tetrazzini and fried oysters! PHEW!! I loved the challenge in this and will definitely be doing this one again!!!
2) Try new ingredient, spice or dish once a month. I like being adventurous! Since sometimes it's difficult for me to get out of Gainesville, I can at least travel via food.
*I went crazy on this one! I tried several new Pakistani AND Mexican dishes! And beaucoup new ingredients! I'm continuing this goal for the rest of my life! But let's make it two each month!
3) Eat out no more than 3xs/week (4 on Rashan visits). This probably sounds like a lot to y'all. It does to me, too but when I was in class for hours and hours on end and didn't get home until 8 or 9, I didn't feel like cooking. Now that our classes are cut down so we can work on our films, I bet I can do even better than 3-4xs a week but I wanted to give myself a doable goal.
*Hmmm.... I kind of forgot about this goal after week 3 but I definitely ate out less so I'm very proud of that! Following no. 1 helped immensely!
4) Work out 3xs/week. It is so irritating to me that I have let this go! It's insane! The gym is ridiculously close. I can and will do better.
Very hit or miss with this but this month, I'm joining Liz in the fitness challenge! You should, too! Together we'll:
a) weigh ourselves on December 1st so that despite holiday binge eating (ahem Rashan... lololol) we will weigh the same OR LESS (my personal goal) on January 1st!
b) Exercise 30 minutes a day (I totally tried to get out of this!! Lol. But I'll give it a try whether a walk, a class, the elliptical, that doggone Jillian "Murder" Michaels.) You can also break this into 30 minute increments.
c) Keep a food journal. You definitely eat better when you have to write down that you had 9 tacos, a burrito & 2 orders of chips and salsa. I've never done this but read about it and contemplated it. Starting today, I do it!
Did you know Obesity increases a person's risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, some cancers and other ailments. African-Americans were 1.4 times as likely to be obese as non-Hispanic whites in 2007, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. About four out of five African-American women are overweight or obese, the agency said. Too many of my friends and family members fall into that category. We can fix this!!!! Let's get it!
5) Dedicate time for spiritual growth. I have let this go, too and I can tell a difference. I'm going to fix it.
*I was incredibly lazy on this. Shamefully so. I. WILL. DO. BETTER.
6) Catch up on movies. I'm still about a dozen behind. I made no progress in October and we're getting closer and closer to the end! Time to kick operation 750 movies this year into gear!!
*I got down to 5 behind, then with Thanksgiving I'm right back up to 12 behind. :( I wanted to go into December with far fewer films to watch. At this point I still have to watch about 2.5 movies each day. That's actually not that bad. And with my last project due December 17th, HOPEFULLY that won't be a problem.
7) Use a budget. Ahem. Yeah.
*Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE!! Between my mom's visit, Rashan's birthday and Christmas shopping I hemorrhaged money!! Ugh.