12.01.2009

Goals: November Update & New for December

 I'll put the results in bold with an asterisk before going into December's goals.

1) Try new recipe twice a week. Seeing as I now subscribe to Every Day with Rachael Ray AND Food Network magazine (which has a ridiculous amount of recipes!!) I should really put those to use. I also have a ridiculous number of RR cookbooks with a new one out this month (yesterday in fact and you know I want it even though it will be number 7!!)... I should use this stuff!!!
Oh yeah!  I think there was only one week where I tried one new recipe but there was a week where I tried 3 so we're even!  Yay!!! Total I made Mexican rice bowls, brined chicken & creamed spinach, mushroom risotto, peach pie smoothie, Thai Turkey burgers (and I froze the leftovers; defrosted & subbed the leftover raita from the Pakistani dinner for the pineapple salsa: DELISH!!), chicken tetrazzini and fried oysters!  PHEW!!  I loved the challenge in this and will definitely be doing this one again!!!

2) Try new ingredient, spice or dish once a month. I like being adventurous! Since sometimes it's difficult for me to get out of Gainesville, I can at least travel via food.
*I went crazy on this one!  I tried several new Pakistani AND Mexican dishes!  And beaucoup new ingredients!  I'm continuing this goal for the rest of my life!  But let's make it two each month!

3) Eat out no more than 3xs/week (4 on Rashan visits). This probably sounds like a lot to y'all. It does to me, too but when I was in class for hours and hours on end and didn't get home until 8 or 9, I didn't feel like cooking. Now that our classes are cut down so we can work on our films, I bet I can do even better than 3-4xs a week but I wanted to give myself a doable goal.
*Hmmm.... I kind of forgot about this goal after week 3 but I definitely ate out less so I'm very proud of that!  Following no. 1 helped immensely!

4) Work out 3xs/week. It is so irritating to me that I have let this go! It's insane! The gym is ridiculously close. I can and will do better. 
Very hit or miss with this but this month, I'm joining Liz in the fitness challenge!  You should, too!  Together we'll:
a) weigh ourselves on December 1st so that despite holiday binge eating (ahem Rashan... lololol) we will weigh the same OR LESS (my personal goal) on January 1st!  
b) Exercise 30 minutes a day (I totally tried to get out of this!! Lol. But I'll give it a try whether a walk, a class, the elliptical, that doggone Jillian "Murder" Michaels.)  You can also break this into 30 minute increments.

c) Keep a food journal.  You definitely eat better when you have to write down that you had 9 tacos, a burrito & 2 orders of chips and salsa.  I've never done this but read about it and contemplated it. Starting today, I do it!


Did you know Obesity increases a person's risk of heart disease, type 2 diabetes, stroke, some cancers and other ailments. African-Americans were 1.4 times as likely to be obese as non-Hispanic whites in 2007, according to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. About four out of five African-American women are overweight or obese, the agency said.  Too many of my friends and family members fall into that category.  We can fix this!!!!  Let's get it!

5) Dedicate time for spiritual growth. I have let this go, too and I can tell a difference. I'm going to fix it.
*I was incredibly lazy on this.  Shamefully so.  I. WILL. DO. BETTER.

6) Catch up on movies. I'm still about a dozen behind. I made no progress in October and we're getting closer and closer to the end! Time to kick operation 750 movies this year into gear!!
*I got down to 5 behind, then with Thanksgiving I'm right back up to 12 behind.  :(  I wanted to go into December with far fewer films to watch.  At this point I still have to watch about 2.5 movies each day.  That's actually not that bad.  And with my last project due December 17th, HOPEFULLY that won't be a problem.

7) Use a budget. Ahem. Yeah.
*Horrible, horrible, HORRIBLE!!  Between my mom's visit, Rashan's birthday and Christmas shopping I hemorrhaged money!!  Ugh.

10 comments:

Ladynay said...

Looks like you were on task for the most part. That's great considering you had a bunch of goals at one time!

Mrs Count said...

Good job with your goals. I want to do the fitness challenge, but my laziness is keeping me from saying yes. I think I'll do it (famous last words).

Anitra* said...

Just yesterday I made a big poster to put up in my room like a 10 year old of my daily eating and exercising activities. I counted calories yesterday and I just scratched through Monday - LOL!

You can do it! Work it out and write it down!

Sha Boogie said...

I've been trying to use a budget forever -- EPIC FAIL! And it aint got no easier adding big & little snappy to the mix, hmph.

I am SO jealous you've been making rach recipes! i keep buying the magazines and making nothing!! lol

Rashan Jamal said...

Why you gotta call me out about the binge eating? Don't eat enough, now I eat too much! Make up your mind!!!

Budgets are going to be the death of me. After Christmas, comes Valentines day, then Spring Break. I need a spending holiday.

Adei von K said...

the budget thing. i need it BADLY! I don't know where all my money went this past week :-(

Miss Snarky Pants said...

I'm too punk to try new food...

Those meals of yours ALWAYS look good though!!!

Budgeting ::scratchin' my head::...Whats that???? LOL

Nah for real though...I could stand to jump on that bandwagon.

Not So Anonymous said...

I'm on a bit of a diet, so I'll join the challenge!!! I'm hoping for at least 5 pounds less prior to January 1.

congrats on the accomplished goals!

Momisodes said...

Looks like you have made some progress. Not packing on the pounds during the holidays is going to be tough over here. I am such a sucker for desserts and goodies.

Jameil said...

lady... thanks! so encouraging!

tm... STOP BEING LAZY!! LOL! YOU CAN DO IT!!

anitra... girl i was just thinking i need to do that for all of my goals! Workin it!

sha... oh the snappies! lol. it helps to do a bit of meal planning AND finding a recipe where you already have everything you need in the house. that helps a lot. or even finding something similar to something you already know how to cook.

rj... BINGE EATER!! lolol. you need to get in the middle! oh budgets...

adei... right!? ugh!!

ms. b... that is crazy!! don't let me come to NYC!! i will SO make you try new stuff. such a waste of a great food city. smh in sadness. start with something small that you've been curious about and people love. oh budget... le sigh.

nsa... YAY!!! FINALLY A TAKER!!! thanks! i'm hoping for 7 lbs. down by jan. 1. wait, that might be too much. okay i'll go with 5, too! i'll even take a flatter stomach!

momisodes... i have! i'm not so much on the sweets. i like fruity tasting things but sugary isn't me.