12.15.2009

Spicy!


My mom says I overdo everything.  I say, go hard or go home.  The conversation started when she saw my giant family-sized container of grits.  (Rashan said the same thing.  Well, he also remarked on the craziness of that amount of grits.)  The price per ounce was so low!  But I now realize that makes no sense when you can't use the item by the use by date!  Don't worry, those grits won't go to waste.  I'm bringing them home for Christmas breakfast (menu to come)! 

Now at first when my mom used my spice rack as proof that I overdo everything, I just gave her the stone face.  She said, "How are you gonna use all those spices?  You don't cook that much."  CHALLENGE!!  To me, that was her saying I need to use every single one of those spices at least once in the next month.  LET'S GET IT!!  Now though I feel challenged, I can kind of see her point.  Don't you dare tell her or I will deny it!!  I felt almost overwhelmed looking at all of them!  But we all know I love a good challenge!

For the record, I bought all of those spices in the small tubs because they were insanely cheap at the Dekalb World Market (also known as the love of my life).  Why would I not buy curry for $.46?  Rosemary for $.33?  Cayenne pepper for $.73?  Coriander for $.56?  And some of them bought the day after the spices were packed.  Of all the spices I got from there, the most expensive was the nutmeg and that was still only $1.72.  That's a small fraction of the price I paid for those spices in the back from Publix.  So I know you're wondering, WHAT ON EARTH DOES SHE HAVE BACK THERE!?!?  (I was kind of curious myself!  Sometimes I forget!)  I will tell you, starting with the regular store products: grill seasoning, basil, oregano, cajun seasoning*, seasoning salt (which I have seriously not used in more than a year because none of my food network recipes ever call for it), cinnamon, cumin & crushed red pepper flake.

Now for the farmer's market (deep breath): whole thyme, ground sage, ground cloves, nutmeg, allspice, tarragon, ground ginger, black pepper, chili powder, herbes de provence* (only $1.08 but a good $5 at a regular store), turmeric*, fennel seed*, poultry seasoning*, curry, gumbo file, caraway seed*, whole cardamom, cayenne pepper, rosemary & coriander.  The asterisks are by all the spices I haven't cooked with before.  I bought all of them because I read recipes I wanted to try but skipped or modified if they called for those spices.  I made chicken provençal w/o the herbes de provence!  Never again!  Woohooooo!!  I can't wait to get up in my spice rack again.  And I think I'm going to take all of it with me on break.  Even if I don't use it all, I can at least use some!  Oh and here's something you probably thought wasn't possible... I still need marjoram.  LOLOL!!  My mom would say, "Don't buy another spice!!"

8 comments:

Rashan Jamal said...

I'm totally telling your mom when I see her that you get her point. It's gonna be the first thing out of my mouth!!!

Yeah, no farmer's market for you until you use those asterisk marked items. Especially the ones that you made me go get without you.

Ladynay said...

So that means your place and the places you travel to will be smelling yummy for a good while. Great! I want some! LOL!

Mrs Count said...

I was staring at your picture wide-eyed with envy! My spice cabinet is off the hook full too, but I didn't pay those awesome prices you did (off to check for cool markets by my house).

Sparkling Red said...

Ooh, that's a good spice collection. I wish I had so many to choose from. I let my husband be in charge of clearing out our "food museum" of a pantry. He's very against dried herbs, so he threw them all out, and all the spices into the bargain! When I questioned him he said "they were all old". Same for ALL of my tea. Since then I haven't replaced them. I have an easier solution: let my husband do all the cooking!

Sha Boogie said...

LOL @ 'Challenge'!

Your a nut, Jameil!

But, I am totally jealous of all your CHEAP spices, hmph.

Nerd Girl said...

I sense an intervention in your immediate future!

Jazzy said...

I love spice. I made Spanish arroz con pollo over the weekend with sweet paprika...delicioso!

From your "yet" comment on my blog, I get the feeling you might move to NYC one day...is that me wishfully thinking???? I need friends who like to cook...for me! lol

Jameil said...

rj... shut it!!! and i'm going to the farmer's market next wed!! so there!!

lady... lol come and get it!

tm... oh yeah! those prices are FANTATIC!!

red... lol. i couldn't! tho him cooking IS a nice tradeoff! lol.

sha... me? lol.

nerd girl... *innocently* why ever do you mean???

diva... that sounds mmmmm!! NYC is a definite possibility in my career. It's one of the hot spots for docs.