12.26.2009

You Can't Play Anymore

Every year at the annual family breakfast (menu to come), my dad's siblings and their children and grandchildren (if applicable) come together at someone's house to hang out, eat, listen to Christmas music, etc.  Every year, we play the 'White Elephant' game.  You bring a wrapped (or bagged) $20 gift, everyone gets a number, when your number comes up, you pick a gift.  The next person can either take your gift (forcing you to steal someone else's) or select a new gift.

Everyone does awesome gifts they might want to take home themselves (coffee maker, gift card, money, popular cd(s), electric griddle) ... except the twins.  Last year they brought TWO hideous "fragrance lamps".  Excuse me, why do you think it's okay to bring two of the same crappy gift?  Every other couple who plays brings 2 different things.  You bring two of THE SAME CRAPPY GIFT.  Not cool.  This year one of the twins did the shopping so her, her husband, her twin & her twin's friend could play.  Four identically-sized & identically wrapped presents.  Everyone avoided them like the plague until it was no longer possible.

EVEN UGLIER FRAGRANCE LAMP.  Pissed is an understatement.  My mom and I had talked about their crappy gifts and how we were glad they weren't there to play... they walked in after only the 2nd person had gone.  Oh even better Rashan had seen those ugly lamps in CVS/Walgreens/Family Dollar for $9.99.  So you left here with a griddle, a food processor and $20 and three people left with your cheap, ugly fragrance lamp.  *One cousin's friend had the last number and got stuck with that ugly lamp-- SERVES YOU RIGHT*  You're 34 years old.  You know you're wrong.  I said, "Next year you can't bring the same gift."  My aunt and cousin were quick to jump in and agree.  Then gifts kept being stolen and one my cousins started going in about those terrible lamps.  AWKWARD.  But true.  My mom said we should've made them leave with their own crappy gifts.  If you can't afford to play, don't play.  We won't hold it against you.  We'll be very happy if you don't.  Now there's talk of not playing next year because of their crappy gifts.  Ugh!!!!  So irritating.

9 comments:

Trish said...

That's a mess! Worst part is they probably weren't even ashamed to have brought bs gifts and left with good gifts. It's hard to not be mad getting stuck with a gift that sucks when you brought something good.

Liz Dwyer said...

Four of the same cheap, wack gift? Oh that is trifling. There's always someone who does the 99 cent store gift at White Elephant parties and tries to pass it off as being something nice. I hope you all still play next year but what to do about them is a definite conundrum.

Adei von K said...

You did a good job relaying the same emotions in writing. I'm pissed off for you guys as if I'm hearing this for the first time! That is BEYOND wack.

love.joi said...

something similar happened to me @ work. I was uber suprised that the folks had the nerve to steal...

Rashan Jamal said...

I was so shook that I was gonna get one of those fragrance lamps. I always get the wack gift. I wasn't really a fan of mine, but so glad I didn't get one of those four lamps.

Jameil said...

trish... them heffas were PLEASED with themselves. giggling away. and there were conferences with the aunts and cousins on how to deal with them. ridiculous. should i be blessed w/twins they better not even THINK about doing some mess like that. pool your resources for good, not evil! don't be brats! my mom got stuck w/one of their crap gifts last year. my married cousin & her hubby each got one this year. UGH!! I don't drink coffee & got a coffeemaker b/c it was better than one of those lamps.

liz... MESSS!!! my mom said don't invite them next year and they can't play. i'm sure my aunts won't agree to that. maybe if you're late you can't play. they were 4 HOURS LATE this year.

adei... girl me and my mom can still get worked up abt it. lol

lovejoi... i will steal away! lol

rj... lol! ME TOO!! i saw yours and was like ummm... practical is ok but that one was no fun compared to the other stuff.

*Tanyetta* said...

fragrance lamp?

nevermind. LOL

CNEL said...

Oh no that's ridic but a cute game

Jameil said...

tan... picture up!

cnel... right!?