1. So, what are you thankful for this year? (In no particular order) Being OUT of Pittsburgh!! THANK YOU JESUS!!, being on my way to my master's degree, getting a T.A. position for next semester which will pay most of my tuition!! YEAH!! (more details to come), being smart enough to write this 15-20 page paper, getting an interview with this woman whose story I LOVE for my historical short film, my fabulous family and friends and Rashan.
2. Do you spend Thanksgiving with your family? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I actually like spending it with friends better. Traditionally we have so many dinner invites my mom doesn't even cook. We just go from house to house (I call it house hopping) eating at 2-4 locations. It's quite fun. And people force plates on you everywhere BUT you never have too many leftovers. Tres parfait.
3. Do you have a big, turkey dinner? I don't really like turkey. It's so rarely not dry. Yes, I've had fried turkey and like it. But by the time I started kind of liking turkey, I wasn't a fan of the flavor other than as a deli meat. I like ham better.
4. What about some pumpkin pie for desert? I actually don't like pumpkin pie. I prefer sweet potato.
5. When you were younger, did you make Thanksgiving crafts? Lurve, LURVE Thanksgiving crafts. Still.
6. Is Thanksgiving pointless? No! Any time you have an excuse to eat food and get a break from your daily lives, not pointless! Know what's pointless? One-day black Friday sales. Gimme a break. I don't want to fight the crazies. Just gimme the deals.
7. Rate this holiday out of ten: 8.7
8. Are you excited for it? Sure. I like any excuse to celebrate.
9. Have you ever not seen a family member for over a year? A year? I lived in Pittsburgh and came home once a year for 3 years. I also have 36 first cousins, a dozen of whom (and their 10 children) live in Mississippi. Not seeing MOST of my family for over a year is the norm. I haven't even seen my half sister in probably 6 years other than pictures. We miss opposite events.
10. Do you get presents on this holiday? Of course not. But does my Rachael Ray book count? Lol. Do people need presents to enjoy a holiday? The shame!
11. What is the best thing about it? Food and fellowship!
12. What is the worst thing about it? There are drawbacks?
13. Is this your favorite holiday? I like them all.
14. Are any of your parents good cooks? They are good at different things.
15. What do you do for Thanksgiving? Like I said, it varies from year to year.
16. What's the yummiest part about the dinner? Depends on the year and the house. My mom makes the best dressing and baked chicken and green beans, Ms. Allen makes the best mac and cheese, Rev. Gilliam makes the best broccoli casserole. But Ms. Allen's is good, too! So is my mom's.
17. Ever had the turkey burnt and then you just had to order takeout instead? No. But everywhere I go, we always have a ham, too. And we already know how I feel about turkey.
18. Most memorable thanksgiving? Hmm... they all run together at different places but I really liked the one 2 years ago when I went to Wynel's now husband's family's house for dinner and then her family's house for dinner. We had fun. And the next year he asked if I was coming back. Lol.
19. What are you hopeful for or what do you really want right now? Continuing happiness, a job for my sister so she can stop stressing. I'm pretty content.
20. Why do you like or dislike Thanksgiving? We've been through this, no? Food, ooh and marathons! Love marathons on tv!! Jon & Kate + 8 rocked my world yesterday. What Not to Wear today!!!