1.15.2010

Road Trip

Even though my classmates were found safe, I'm still shaken up from the experience of not knowing where they were and having a nightmare about them Thursday morning.  One of them called me when he got back to the U.S. and the other is still in the Dominican Republic because they got separated in the crush of people in the airport.  I'll feel better when I actually see them.  A word of caution, be careful about just throwing money out to organizations.  Know where your money is going.  It's also often better to donate to an organization than to give supplies because supplies have to be shipped at an additional cost which means less money to spend on actual supplies.  There are organizations that buy in Haiti (or whatever the effected country is) as a way to also stimulate the local economy and provide aid at the same time.  Former President Clinton has a foundation and I'm thinking of donating to Doctors Without Borders.

I have a shoot for my film in Miami on Monday (bummer, right?  Lol) so I'm going down to Palm Beach tomorrow to kick it with Stace in the interim.  I want to visit the kinders, too so they can see how awesome Miss Jameil is!  Ow!  You know what I'm most focused on though, right?  FOOD!!  I can't wait to eat some awesomeness!!  I want sushi since we always eat that together, I wouldn't mind some Mexican and I think we can team up to do some great things in the kitchen!  I know we can!  This is gonna be great.  I can get some work done, see my homie, eat some great food and relax.

5 comments:

Trish said...

Man I feel sorry for you, having to go to Miami and all! Lol! I'm only slighty jealous as it rains cats and dogs here. I've been wanting sushi lately too and almost got some from the mkt but decided against that idea.Have a fun and safe trip!

Rashan Jamal said...

I like that people care enough to donate, but i just have a feeling in a month, people are gonna be looking at their phone bills like why is my bill $500 higher with those Haiti text messages.

Have fun with Stace! And I hope no one gets bitten by a dog on this shoot. LOL

Adei von K said...

YAAAAAAAAAAY!!! I's so excited Miss Jameil!!

I, too, am skeptical abt various orgs, esp one who donate portions of proceeds... PORTIONS!?!? how big (or small) are those portions??? We have to do our research and make sure its a reputable organization. I'm not even sure abt wyclef's/yele... I know they were selling $20 hats and sending $5 back a couple years ago. 25% is not enough for me.

Doctors W/O Borders and ARC for me.

Ladynay said...

Okay I am late, but glad to hear you're classmates are okay and safe.

Food, friends, and being productive. Me likey! LOL

Jameil said...

trish... hahaha! right? mmmm sushi! i'm straight on supermarket sushi. blech.

rj... mess. you are a mess!!

adei... wheeeee!! yeah i always need to know WHAT portion. it needs to be majority.

lady... me too!!