And so we pick up where we left off in our film lessons learned from watching 750 films in 2009.
24) I don't want to watch your uncut OR your unrated versions of your films! You can keep that!! No really. Please keep that. Uncut is way too long, unrated is almost always way too raunchy. Pass. Like can you imagine the unrated version of S.uperbad????? There's probably not a single scene you would let anyone under 25 watch unsupervised. Lol.
25) More and more I agree with Roger Ebert. I feel aggrieved to learn this. *sniff sniff* I always heartily, fervently and rather harshly disagreed with him and prided myself on it. Now I probably agree with him more than disagree. LE SIGH!!
26) My disdain for reading synopses has only been slightly abated. I don't like them because they give too much away. The suspense would be higher and the scenes more interesting if you didn't tell all that in the blurb. Now I'll read a sentence or two, and sometimes the whole blurb to make sure I actually want to see it. If I can tell in the first sentence, let's proceed. I could've saved myself from some terrible films if I'd only read at least a sentence!
27) Reviews are stupid. There are times I wholeheartedly agree, but there are other times I just want you to shut up because you make no sense. That said, I read reviews. LOL!! NOW. I used to ignore them. However, I've found if you read multiple, it's a lot easier to cut through the foolishness and get to the common thread which is usually the grain of truth. That means getting rid of the outliers. People who give 1 or 5 star reviews are usually too effusive in either direction to pay attention to but the 2, 3, and 4 star reviews are usually worth reading. The critics are all over the place. There are a couple indie publication reviewers that irritate me because they don't like ANYTHING so I ignore them, too.
28) It's really weird to watch people I've only known as old (or dead) people in my lifetime as young, sometimes passionate, sometimes n.aked people. I begin to see them in a new light. It brings out my interest in the elderly. I always wonder what they were like when they were young.
29) I love watching movies with Rashan. Through the course of our relationship we have to have already watched literally hundreds of films together, mostly on the phone. We watch them almost entirely in silence, then rate & discuss.
30) I think it's strange when people say, "I know you didn't like that movie, but I still want to see it." Good for you! I think you should! And I mean that completely. These opinions are solely mine. I've told you what I think is a waste of time but as subjective as films are, you should definitely not take my word for it if you think you'll disagree. Far be it from me to save, I mean, keep (Lol) you from seeing something you'll really enjoy.
31) When I watch foreign films I get so caught up in blocking out or absorbing (if French or Spanish) the language and reading subtitles that I don't realize when they switch to English for a song or a few words. The first several times I noticed that I was so disturbed! How do you not realize your native tongue?? Lolol. Rashan and I make a point when watching them together to say, "Hey! That's English!" Lolol. Yes, yes it is.
32) I like it when films give me a preview of what's going to happen before I have to watch 3 minutes of credits. By this I mean it jumps right into the action, then shows credits, then continues the film. There was a period of time in the 1960s where there would be 3-5 minutes of credits before you saw a single face. Terrible.
33) I cannot stand double endings. This drives me INSANE! Do not have a film come to a natural conclusion, then keep going.
34) I didn't expect the things I learned would transform how I view my previously favorite films. That sounds strange now but it wasn't even a consideration at the beginning. I still haven't seen any of my favorites in almost a year. I think I'm kind of scared.
35) I HATE SPECIAL FEATURES!!!! H A T E T H E M!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVERRRRRRRR WANT TO SEE ANY THING ON THE SPECIAL FEATURES!!!! I HATE IT!!!! Okay okay that's an exaggeration. Maybe sometimes I'll watch something on them but when I give them a try I'm usually like, who cares. Next movie. Even now.
In case you missed the earlier installments: