10.10.2010

Movies 2010, Week 38

October 3-9, 2010
I'd better speed up if I'm going to watch 15 more movies this month!
188) American Hollow. HBO doc by Rory Kennedy about poor people in Appalachian Kentucky.  Pretty interesting but I can see how people saw it as exploitive.  If it was about poor black people, I would've been irritated.  4 stars
189) Dumbstruck.  Ventriloquist documentary about the people behind the dummies... and the dummies.  Funny at times, also sad at times.  The story moved nicely at the beginning then slowed a bit toward the end.  Still, worth watching.  3.7 stars
190) Elvis and Annabelle.  Indie film about a girl who dies and is brought back to life by the undertaker's kiss.  Blake Lively stars.  I was intrigued by the fact that this was like one of the best shows ever cancelled, "Pushing Daisies" and in some respects I wasn't disappointed.  It took some unnecessarily predictable turns, but took some sweet and/or surprising turns.  The end was not nearly as strong as the beginning.  3.5 stars

No comments: