2.03.2010

Week 4, Recipe 1: Black Bean and Rice Stuffed Peppers

Recipe from the Z.atarain's website

1 pound spicy pork sausage
2 3/4 cups water
1 package Z.ATARAIN'S® Black Beans and Rice
1 large red or green bell peppers, halved and seeded
1 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese

1. Break up sausage in medium saucepan. Cook on medium heat 5 minutes or until cooked through. Drain fat; set aside. Add water to same saucepan; bring to boil. Stir in Rice Mix; return to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minutes or until rice is tender. Remove from heat. Let stand 5 minutes.

2. Meanwhile, cook peppers in boiling water in large saucepot 5 minutes or until just tender. Immediately place peppers in large bowl of ice water to cool. Drain well.

3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Add sausage to rice; mix well. Place peppers on foil-lined 13x9-inch baking pan. Spoon rice mixture into peppers. Sprinkle evenly with cheese.

4. Bake 10 minutes or until rice mixture is heated through and cheese is melted. 


Results: You know I don't like boxes most of the time so I clearly used black beans and rice I already had seasoned with cumin, coriander, salt, pepper, onion powder & cilantro (the last ingredient added at the end).  I also didn't use sausage and instead made this meatless.  I stirred in some jalapenos & jalapeno juice.  And instead of boiling the peppers (that just sounded gross to me) I baked them in the oven after salting them.  I used pepper jack cheese and after I brought them out of the oven, topped them with salsa.  The point of this is to say this recipe was a base idea and I did what I want.  Lol.  They were pretty good but it irritates me how hard it is to season bell peppers when they cook.  That would've made the flavor even better.  I may make a version of this again one day.

3 comments:

Rashan Jamal said...

Z.ATARAIN'S® Black Beans and Rice is actually really good. I used to make 2 boxes at a time and eat it for a week at a time. Chopped mango on top makes it even better.

My g'ma used to eat stuffed peppers all the time, but I never tried it.

Trish said...

My mom used to make peppers when I was a kid. I would never try them because all I saw was a huge vegetable. Now that I'm an adult, I love them!

You may have just given me a dinner idea for Sunday!!

Jameil said...

rj... i try to stay away from box mixes not b/c they're not good. they often are, but b/c of the amount of salt in them. the thought of you topping something w/chopped mango is hilarious to me! lol. i'm sure i'll make you some stuffed peppers one day.

trish... my older sister made us stuffed tomatoes I was surprised to love since at that time I was even more tomato picky and only ate tomato products rather than fresh tomatoes.