5.01.2011

Movies 2011, Weeks 14 - 16

April 10-16, 2011
69) Night At the Opera. Marx brothers movie about hijinks surrounding an opera.  I'm not a Marx Bros. girl so I had lowered expectations going into this.  It was actually not that bad.  I liked it more than other Marx bros movies I've seen.  3.3 stars
70) City Lights. Charlie Chaplin silent movie about a tramp who falls in love with a blind girl who thinks he's a millionaire.  I was kind of disappointed by the end. :/ 3.4 stars

April 17-23, 2011
71) I Love You Phillip Morris.  I really don't even know what to say about this indie movie.  Jim Carrey stars as a married cop turned gay con man who finds the love of his life in jail.  Incredibly strange, oddly appealing at times, appalling at others.  3.4 stars
72) Wise Girl. 1937 film about an heiress who poses as a poor girl to find her dead sister's kids, who are living with their uncle.  It had it's good moments but it's not the best movie I've ever seen.  Pretty predictable.  3.3 stars
73) It's Kind of A Funny Story.  Indie-like film starring Zach Galifianakis about a teenager who checks himself into a mental health clinic and is unexpectedly forced to live among the adult patients.  Enjoyable and cute.  3.8 stars
74) The Switch. Jennifer Anniston stars in a film about a 40-something woman whose friend has to tell her he subbed her spermdonorsample with his own.  Rather ridiculous and predictable and worst of all at least 15 minutes longer than it needed to be.  It's so strange how you can switch 3 details and still have the exact same movie that's been made for the last 20+ years.  2.9 stars
75) The Book of Eli. Denzel Washington and Mila Kunis star in this film about a man determined to save a sacred text to protect humanity in a post-apocalyptic town.  I enjoyed it.  Probably because of the scripture quotes.  3.6 stars
76) Homeless: The Motel Kids of Orange County. HBO film about homeless kids who live across the street from Disneyland.  As depressing as you might expect with the addition of condescending  questions from the filmmaker throughout.  2.2 stars

April 24-30, 2011
77) Heartbreaker. French film about a team hired to break up relationships.  Extremely cute!  Exactly the kind of French films Rashan and I used to watch at the start of our relationship.  Awww!  4 stars
78) Red. Bruce Willis stars in this 2010 comedy about an ex-CIA agent now being hunted by the government.  I was amused.  Rashan was not.  3.6 stars
79) Easy Rider. 1969 movie starring Dennis Hopper & Peter Fonda about drug dealers trying to get to New Orleans.  Exactly the kind of movie I never enjoy.  I hate the AFI for making me watch this.  The only part I enjoyed was the end.  2 stars
80) My Life in Ruins. Nia Varvaldos stars in a film set in Greece about a stuck up tour guide who gives boring tours and what? I'll let you guess.  It's very predictable.  Exactly what you imagine will happen, does.  Really bad.  2.3 stars

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I am definitely not a Jim Carey fan so I don't think I'll be checking out that movie. Especially after your review. Lol

It's kind of a funny story sounds interesting so I will have to check that out. I think I'll probably have to watch alone. I cant imagine hubby wanting to sit through that one.

The Switch I tried watching and could only stand it for about a half hour before turning it off. I usually like Jennifer Anniston and Jason Batement, but was disappointed in this one. Boo! Lol

I saw the book of Eli and really enjoyed it also. I wasn't at all what I expected. I LOVE Denzel, so I'm never disappointed with his movies. EVER!

I'll have to see the Heatbreaker...another one I may watch alone, unless it's appropriate for my little girlie to watch.

Thanks for the reviews..... Now I've got some stuff to put in my netflix queue if they're available there. Lol

Jameil said...

IKOAFS was interesting. IDK your hubs so that's your call. LOL. The Switch... le sigh. Jenn has not built her character base. I'm guessing this is intentional but it's still kinda sad. Denzel movies are at the least entertaining. LOL IDK your parental standards either so you got me on Heartbreak. I do love the idea of you watching a subtitled movie with one of your children tho! Wise Girl (TCM) and Homeless (HBO On Demand) are the only two not available on Netflix.