May 15-21, 2011
Even though I didn't really love most of the movies I saw this week, I still really enjoyed the leisurely feeling that comes with watching a lot of easy films in one week.
89) Singles. 1992 movie about a bunch of 20-somethings looking for love. Very 90s feel but in a good way. Cute. 3.4 stars
90) Escape from Alcatraz. 1979 film starring Clint Eastwood about a possible successful break from the notorious prison. I liked it enough. I didn't love it. I think it moved a little too slowly without explanation and included some plot contrivances that were supposed to help explain the break but really did little to advance the film. 3.3 stars
91) Network. Outrageous film about the machinations surrounding ratings at network television stations. Working at the local level and consuming a ridiculous amount of news in the last 8 years, it was creepily similar at times. Extra crazy. 4.4 stars
92) No Strings Attached. Natalie Portman & Ashton Kutcher film about friends with benefits. Stupid concept. You know at the beginning that one of them is going to catch feelings. Is it gonna be the original cliche where she's the one or the 2nd original cliche where he's the one catching feelings? The best scenes? After the hospital party and after the first engagement. Don't worry, that's not a spoiler. You know both of those are coming in some form. The coming to an agreement final scene was so cheesy I literally laughed out loud. COOOOORNY!! Still fun enough to watch. If you like cheese and rom coms, I think you'd like this. 3.6 stars
93) Tammy and the Bachelor. 1957 film starring Debbie Reynolds & Leslie Nielsen. I knew he was in the film and STILL didn't recognize him... ever... LOL. I'm usually great at picking out familiar faces. It's about a plane crash victim and the girl who falls in love with him. Odd film. Some pretty bad acting. But still one of those old movies you could watch or have on in the background. Not great, not terrible. 3.4 stars