4.25.2010

Movies 2010, Week 14

April 18-24, 2010
How proud of me are you this week?  Putting the finishing touches on our film and still managed to watch 6 movies!!  Yeaaah!!
98) This Is It. "Documentary" about Michael Jackson's preparations for his 50-concert tour in London.  Sort of a strange opening.  I thought it could've started much better.  Some AMAZING "Mike is the man" moments like Smooth Criminal and Beat It.  Pretty good.  3.8 stars
99) Divorce, Italian Style. Italian comedy from the 1960s about a man who wants a divorce but can only get it by tricking his wife into adultery which would give him impunity in murdering her.  Nuts!  Pretty funny with the ironic twists and turns.  4 stars
100) A Place in the Sun. A George Stevens-directed film starring Montgomery Clift and Elizabeth Taylor with an appearance from Raymond Burr.  It's about a factory worker juggling a wealthy socialite and his pregnant girlfriend.  A 6-time Oscar winner.  I can see why.  Definitely a movie the Academy loved back then.  A few of the final scenes were too melodramatic but still an intriguing movie.  4 stars
101) Calamity Jane. Doris Day stars as a gangsta shooting woman in the wild west.  I wasn't expecting a musical... Silliness in a good cowboys and bad indians flick.  A child might like this.  Not I.  Very badly lip synced.  Incredibly predictable.  I was amused at times but I don't need to see this again.  3 stars
102) Hurt Locker. Riveting Oscar-winning film about an explosives team in Iraq.  Some of the photographic cinematic devices get in the way but that doesn't stop it from being a movie you're glued to from the first minutes.  Some scenes dragged because they went on too long.  I couldn't wait to look up details about how and where this was shot.  The final scenes were pretty dissatisfying.  Was something supposed to be building to that?  A good film but it could've been better with tighter editing.  I wonder what soldiers think about this film.  4 stars
103) In the Good Old Summertime.  Musical starring Judy Garland about two people who are fab pen pals who can't stand each other in person.  Yes, the 2nd version of 'The Shop Around the Corner' and 'You've Got Mail.'  At least the last one was slightly different.  I think I like this one a little better than 'Shop.'  Cute. 4 stars

I tried to watch "Paradise Now" about two Palestinians chosen to be suicide bombers who have second thoughts after visiting their friends and family.  I couldn't watch it because it was dubbed in English in the Netflix online version!!!  I refuse to watch foreign films w/English dubs.  Foolishness.

6 comments:

Ladynay said...

Where do you have the time? With so much going on and bout to go down you still watching movies?

Congrats on basically having your masters! You've been working hard so you deserve it!

Will there be an option to watch your graduation on the internet?

Jameil said...

1) I just snatch the time! I have to unwind somehow so I do it w/movies. I usually start while I'm eating.
2) Thanks!
3) Awww! Yes, http://video.ufl.edu/main/liveStreams/mediasite.php?id=3666

SincerelyGo said...

"In the Good Old Summertime" and "Divorce" sounds like two I could possibly enjoy.

Go

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

The Hurt Locker is next on my Netflix list. Thanks for the review.

Can not WAIT!!!! to see the graduation :) :) Sooo happy for you!

Jameil said...

Go... I can get w/the classics! Love watching them!

GP... you're welcome. LOL! I don't even want to go & y'all are excited about watching online! So funny!

Liz Dwyer said...

I just watched A Place in the Sun the other day. DRAMA! Watch someone get the bright idea to remake with that dude from Twilight...