April 11-17, 2010
I did so much better with my movie watching this week! Yay!! I think w/o Rashan here I could've done even better but I'll take that trade-off!
93) Holiday Inn. Fred Astaire and Bing Crosby star in a film about a dance trio that splits up. I was mildly annoyed by the mammy role that popped up. That was nothing compared to Crosby in black face with a black face PICKANINNY ACCOMPANIMENT!!!! LIVID. Who even cares what the rest of the film is about? Or that Bing sings 'White Christmas' beautifully? Not me. If you don't know why this is offensive, read this and don't give me that 'It was another time" excuse unless you're willing to use it to excuse anti-s.emitism of years past as well. 2 stars
94) Alice Adams. Katharine Hepburn stars in this 1935 film directed by George Stevesn about a small-town girl with social ambitions who falls in love with a local playboy. My soror Hattie McDaniels also appears. Really slow-moving film.
95) Slingshot Hip Hop. A foreign documentary (in Arabic w/English subtitles) about Palestinian rappers. Pretty interesting with some cool editing techniques. It seemed like a student film. Not in a terrible way but just that some technical things were distracting. The story line was also very fluid. Still, if you like music & foreign film about struggle, you will probably like it. 3.7 stars
96) Radio Bikini. Compilation documentary about an atom bomb test that affected thousands Americans. Pretty boring with no real story line. 2.8 stars
97) 12th&Delaware. Documentary about a p.ro-life clinic at the same corner as a Florida a.bortion clinic. Very very heavy and ominous. 3.3 stars