7.05.2009

Crazy Movie Lady 23

June 29- July 4, 2009
This was a HORRIBLE week in terms of movie-watching!!! No docs, and I'm more than a dozen movies behind!! I'm going to have to spend at least one entire day at the library next week using the wifi to try to catch up. I have no internet here at my grandma's house in Mississippi and Stace the movie hater's been here most of the week. Life's gotten in the way. I've enjoyed it but I want to get back ahead of my movies. As half of this next week will be spent in Atlanta, I'll have a chance to buckle down and see at least twice as many movies as I watched last week. Not saying a lot is it? I should at least triple it! Lol. I have a few movies available to me so I definitely should say triple. Let's say triple!! Lol
358. Confessions of a Shopaholic. First, I must confess this isn't the week I'm going to catch up on my anything. Not my thesis, not my movie watching. Maybe my family history. That's it. That's what Mississippi is here for in my world. Anyway the movie. It was okay. Very predictable and quite silly at moments. Heavily laden with music in an odd way. Let's have a break in the action and play 8 bars of a popular song... and.... we're back! I've read many of the shopaholic novels and enjoyed them as those mindless airport reads. It didn't really seem like the same person but I wasn't terribly annoyed by that. This movie was just there. I was somewhat amused but then somewhat bored. Stace hated it for its predictability. We can agree it shouldn't have been more than an hour 30. Isla Fisher (the lead) is being put out of work by Amy Adams because they have the same typecast: ditzy redhead. Hmm... I think I like Amy better but this movie was still just there. Didn't hate, didn't love. 3 stars.
359. Panic Room. Wow... Forest Whittaker and Jared Leto are two of three robbers who need to get into a panic room where Jodie Foster is holed up with her daughter once she realizes they're in her house. Excellent suspense thriller by David Foster. I had issues with the effects not because they weren't cool... they were... but because they took me out of the moment and reminded me I was watching a movie. The more I can get lost in a movie, the more I enjoy it. Still 4/5 stars.
360. Good Luck Chuck. Yeah... no. Dane Cook and Jessica Alba in the most predictable film ever about a man who dates women and they marry the next guy they date which prompts women to flock to him but he likes klutzy Alba. Womp womp. And I need to make sure Netflix never sends me the unrated version of ANY movie again. Really? I never EVER need to see that much of anyone's anatomy. Also, I think my being so behind is making me even less patient than usual and perhaps another week I wouldn't have been so exasperated. Nevertheless. 2.5/5 stars.
361. Confessions of a Dangerous Mind. George Clooney directs himself, Sam Rockwell, Julia Roberts and Drew Barrymore in a film about game show creator Chuck Barris (Newlywed Game, Dating Game, Gong Show-- LOVED the first two shows) who claims while he was creating those shows he was also a CIA operative. Included interviews with some of the actual people which made it a little more interesting as well. Still somehow there was something missing... Not enough to be uninteresting but enough to drop it down to 3.5/5 stars. (18 movies behind)

1 comment:

Rashan Jamal said...

David Fincher, not David Foster. David Foster is the guy that makes the sappy Celine Dion type ballads.

I liked Panic Room, Dangerous Mind, not so much.. Haven't seen the rest. Come on back so we can watch tons of movies and catch up.