3.20.2010

Week 10, Recipe 1: Jerk Chicken Burgers with Mango Salsa

I've been so busy in the lab I honestly don't know whether I made this this week or last week... I think last week but we'll just go with this week.  Recipe courtesy of Rachael Ray.
  • 1 pound ground chicken
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
  • 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons light brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus some for drizzling
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 ripe mango, peeled and diced
  • 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
  • 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
  • 1/4 seedless cucumber, peeled and chopped
  • 1 lime, juiced
  • Spicy potato chips, any brand you like

Yields: 4 servings

Preparation

Heat a large nonstick skillet with EVOO over medium-high heat.
In a medium mixing bowl, combine chicken with spices and sugar. Drizzle in EVOO and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix to combine. Score the meat into 4 equal parts and then form 4 patties, each about 1 1/2-inch thick. Add the burgers to the skillet and cook about 5 minutes on both sides or until cooked all the way through, there shouldn'’t be any pink in the middle.
While the burgers cook, make the mango salsa. In a small bowl, combine the mango, red pepper, jalapeño, cucumber and lime juice.
When the burgers are done, transfer them to a serving platter with the mango salsa and spicy chips alongside.

Results: I needed to mix the spices better because I got a mouthful of allspice when I bit into this.  Not cool.  I don't know why I made this burger.  I was not in the mood for it and therefore didn't really enjoy it.   Ah well.

2 comments:

Rashan Jamal said...

Since you didn't really feel these, does that mean that there are some in the freezer waiting for me???

Jameil said...

yep! there's one in there for ya!