8.13.2009

Moving On

It's that time again. Time to move on. Not from blogging. I'm too stubborn to stop. I figure if everyone is going to give it up, I'm going to stick around until they come back or the blog world evolves again and there's a new crowd. There's only so much you can say in twitter and facebook statuses. And with the plethora of recent twitter outages I'm getting to that "I'm over it" phase with twitter. I've been regularly deleting people who post too many updates or whose updates consistently irk me. I know, I'm a twitter brat. I used to be the blog bully. On twitter I let people be themselves, minus me as a follower.

That is so not the point of this post. Wow traditional meaning of mindspacing, it's been a while, how are you? ANYWAY. As you know this summer I've been on the road quite a bit. Between West Palm Beach, Charlotte, Atlanta (about 5-6 weeks total), Mississippi, and Brunswick, GA I feel like I've been in a near constant state of packing and unpacking-- some major, some minor but always a hassle. I don't like packing!!!! It was really horrid back in college when I was going home for Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break & Summer. I would take most or all of my wardrobe sometimes. Outrageous. And yet nothing compared to this summer! I packed all of that packing into 3 months! And now I'm moving.

But guess what? I'm moving into grad housing that will cost me $1 more for almost 3xs the space (from a 280sqft studio to a 708sqft 1 bedroom) and include water, sewer, CABLE AND INTERNET!! My current apartment includes none of that! So I'm really excited. But I have/had no one to keep me company while I pack (I'm mostly done now) or move. Most of my classmates are out of town until the weekend and I'll be done moving by Saturday morning at the latest. I'm most excited about (other than FREE CABLE AND INTERNET!!!) more counter space in the kitchen, more cabinet space in the bathroom, a reasonable place to put all my clothes, a place to entertain!!! and just generally space to spread out. If you have some low-cost decorating tips, leave them in the comments!

Josh Ozersky (whoever that is) once said, “When I was born, I was anonymous, and I aim not to die in that position.” Ditto, dude. And so I have resigned myself to dealing with the small annoyances of the day because I know they're only for the moment. I also know the quicker I accomplish something, the quicker I can move on to the things I really want to do. (Sometimes that's still not enough to get me motivated.) Just know this for certain: when I finally make that move out of anonymity, even if just partially, I won't be doing this packing crap for myself anymore!!!

***10 DAYS UNTIL MY BIRTHDAY!!!***

8 comments:

Not so Anonymous said...

Packing is the worst and I dread every moment of it. A couple cans of paint will spruce up any space and paint is inexpensive. I love a good thrift store, sometimes you can find great items that you can refurbish with stain, paint, etc.

It does seem like several ppl are bowing out of the blog world. I don't like that one bit.

Anonymous said...

I have been on "extended vacation" and I have been taking it easy. Sitting in my house. My first trip is this weekend back to Erie for a wedding.

Sha Boogie said...

Free cable AND internet??!!! Ohhh how i dislike you, let me count the ways! A $1 more you say? Something telling me I need to go back to school, I wonder if they have housing where I can stash my baby and husband..lol

Liz Dwyer said...

Nice that your new place is so big! Sweet!

I hear you on twitter having it's place. I don't understand how folks think twitter can replace blogging.

Southerner in Suomi said...

Congrats on the new conveniences. And you have the teaching job too right?? Good stuff.
As far as decorating. To get plates and things look for a home decor overstock store. Lots of cool plates, place mats (and wine glasses) for cheap and they'll all match.
I have one couch that I bought from the Salvation Army, but take a strong person. My dad pulled all of the pillows off and flipped it to make sure it wasn't a past murder scene, then I paid $30 to get it shampooed before I brought in my apt. But I've had it for five years and it's still super comfortable.
Plus I don't think you'll partially leave anonymity.

Jameil said...

aretha... right!? i don't think we can paint here or we'd have to cover it when we left and i'm going to be here barely a year so that's not gonna work. i've never done the thrift store for household items but i'm willing to give it a shot. the blog world is ridiculous righ tnow.

epsi... taking it easy sounds great.

sha... lol. grad & family housing (where I am) allows spouses and children!

liz... i know! twitter is SO not a replacement! hpmh!

v... thanks! yep, still assisting! i have plates and cups and stuff like that but i'll need the rest. what do you mean abt partial anonymity?

Southerner in Suomi said...

You won't partially leave anonymity, you'll blow up and we'll all say, "I knew her when she was a blogger." LOL!

Jameil said...

lol. i can sense it coming, too and am trying to enjoy anonymity while it exists!