I've been tagged... again. Y'all know I hate these, but it's my weekend so I've decided to be nice. Plus BK and Royce's Daughter don't know I hate tags. I do like research so I researched myself. How else was I to come up with 8 things y'all don't know about me that I would actually tell you?
1) You know that game beer pong that white college students play? If you went to an HBCU, you've probably never even heard of it. I think its the most disgusting game in America. I don't know much about games in other countries so I'll need to just stick with America. I know that's shocking for the exaggerater in me, but no really though. Why would I want to drink a beer that has a had an over molested, floor bounced ping pong ball in it? I like my beer dirt, ebola, and scarlet fever-free, thanks.
2) Once I dated a model. I know you know that already but here's the story. Me and the drankin patnah (d.p.) went to 7-11 near campus, you know the one on Settler's Landing near the hole in the wall fish "restaurant" getting some chaser of course. It was senior year and we'd all just gotten back to school before the school year started. It was raining (of course). As we walk up to the door we see this 6'5" (I guess... after 6'4 it's all pretty much just tall to me since I'm 5'1), muscled man with long dreadlocks. He holds the door open for us and once we get inside we start doing that thing people do when they see someone who is quite attractive and they feel like being silly. Hitting each other, giggling and raising their eyebrows, even a little bit of "oh my!" He was behind us in line and asked the cashier for a pen.
We got the chaser (I'm pretty sure it was oj and cranberry), then headed back to the apartment. But of course while I'm trying to look sexy, I can't get the borrowed giant beach size ROCK THE BLUE AND WHITE umbrella down. I mean I worked with that umbrella for at least 60 seconds. You're thinking that's not that long. Yeah right. Time it and mess with an umbrella with someone attractive just a few yards away. HORRENDOUS! Smooth move.
We get back to CC & Ash's apartment and are about to walk up the stairs when we hear someone yell, "Excuse me, can I talk to you for a minute?" We both turn around and it's him. I'm like me? He nods. I shake my head. (Again, smooth). I'm thinking and say to d.p., "WHAT A PSYCHO!! HE FOLLOWED US HERE?!?! Hell no I'm not going down those stairs!! He'll try to kidnap me!" But the d.p. made me. She's like, "I don't care! He is fine!!" So I reluctantly walk down the stairs. He (let's call him W) tells me he was dropping someone off and hadn't followed us. He'd asked the cashier for the pen so he could get my number. He said he liked my hair. And I'd just cut it all off (holla perm!) the week before so that made me extra geeked... but still wary.
W said he was only in town for a few days for the Labor Day weekend and lived in Atlanta but he wanted to take me out. I said let me think about it and we exchanged numbers. I went upstairs and as soon as I get inside I hear "Whooooooooooooo!!" I'm like, "What???" CC says, "D.p. told us you were out there talkin to some fine guy!" Hater!! Clearly there was a dude already in the house who was previously tryin to holla and now less interested. Boooooooooo. Oh well. My friends convince me to go out with W the next day. I told my friends he'd said he was a model and Ash says, "Yeah right. If he's a model, make him come here to pick you up so I can see him." So I do, then we go to the movies.
We saw something horrible I think with Asht0n Kutcher. Maybe "My B0ss's Daughter." Whatever it was it was so bad we just sat and talked. He went to get more salt to drown the popcorn (ew) and I called Ash to ask what she thought... She now believes he's a model and approves; and asked if he could use those muscles to bring her tv inside. Lol. He agreed. When we got back she said she'd already gotten someone to bring up the tv, but bring him up anyway. I say, "Ok..." not understanding why... then I hear the raucous laughter and giggling as we're walking up the stairs. I freeze. WHAT?!?!
I knock and the laughter abruptly stops. The door swings open and there are SEVEN GIRLS sitting there. I just blink and am mortified!!!! This is all stuff out of something called the life of a lame! Introductions all around, then he goes to the bathroom and everyone is like "OH. MY. GAH!!!! YOU MET HIM WHERE?!?!? WERE THERE MORE?!?!" So funny. They all leave for a "party" and won't let me come and we're suddenly alone. He's already tried to make his move (how typical) and I'm not going there but there are drinks so we're relaxing.
The d.p. and another homie come over and see that it's just the two of us and are ready to walk out the door. I'd noticed that the one homie froze when she walked inside which was very odd. Introductions, then she said, "Jameil, can I talk to you for a minute?" I'm like WTH!?? but follow her and she says, "He was in my calendar freshman year. I recognized the tattoos." I start dying laughing. Too funny. They leave and I tell him and he's like "Wow. That's wild. I can't believe she recognized me." So I get curious because yeah he was attractive and he said he's a model but you hear that all the time. The next day I look him up online and see all the magazines and calendars he's been in. Interesting but still not enough of a spark. Oh well.
3) I love when guys do push-ups. I had to force myself not to stop, drool, or stare when this guy was doing them next to the indoor track at the gym the other day. But right now on Regis and Kelly this guy just did 20 and it was fab. Very fun. The first bf, my high school sweetheart, did them at band camp (drummers were always getting push ups) and since I was drum major, I got to stand on the hill and stare. But one of my homies said I was staring mouth open (this was before he was my bf)! Hilarious.
4) (No comments on this one no matter how encouraging you think it is) I changed my speed dial so the ex is no longer on there. I'm proud. He's been on the speed dial of every cell phone I've ever had. No more.
5) I'm terrified of being old and broke. I don't want to be 55 and have no idea how I'll be able to retire. And to feel like I'll have to (not want to) work for 20 more years because I won't be able to afford my life. I've had a 401K for about 2 years now. It was one of the things I made sure to get when I got my job. I also save, but it's not enough. I guess it's better to be concerned about this at 24 than at 54, right? Get that early start.
6) I once deleted someone from my myspace top 8 just because I knew it would piss her off. I really don't care about that stuff and most people I know could care less but I knew she would. So I did it to be spiteful. I know. I'm such a brat. This girl at work is trying to peer pressure me into starting a facebook page but I just don't want to. I'll just keep using Stace and my line sister's pages until they kick me off. And when that happens I'll survive.
7) I've wanted more than just a bachelor's degree for a long, long time. When I was in college a professor said master's degrees weren't necessary unless you planned to teach. Teaching has always been in the back of my mind, but in journalism they impress upon you how important it is to have experience. It's very true, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't have an extra degree. Never hurts! But after that point sophomore year, I didn't work too, too hard grades-wise because I was like well if I'm not going to grad school, as long as I stay above 3.0 I'm cool. Ridiculous, but that's how it was for me. Now I'm counting on it not biting me in the butt when I go back.
8) I see dead people. Not really. But as long as they didn't look disgusting like they did in 6th Sense or follow me around and make me do stuff for them, I don't think I'd mind. Someone to talk to. I've always liked fiction about magic and witchcraft but believeable magic. NOT Harry Potter. It's hard for me to get on the bandwagon for anything. I tried to read that book but I just had to stop. It felt too much like what everybody else was doing. No thanks. I value my individuality.