7.05.2007

Do Us All A Favor

And GO BACK TO WORK!!! I am a firm believer in the importance of vacations and their restorative powers. Far be it from me to begrudge anyone the joys of sleeping in on a Thursday, rolling around in the warm sand, frolicking in the surf, cooking out on the grill or any other way you choose to push aside your everyday cares.

HOWEVER, can y'all please spread it out? We know I don't get holidays. I work in the media. I resigned myself to that before I graduated from college and am quite okay with it. We usually console each other with delicious food and/or gifts. Since it is a fluke for me to actually get a holiday off (meaning the holiday falls on my regularly scheduled off days), I block them out. Every day is the same.

So when it's suddenly the 4th of July and there is no beer in my house and the BEER DISTRIBUTOR IS CLOSED (!!); or I just want to go into the mall at 11 a.m. without being surrounded by people; or I want to go to a restaurant which is closed for the holiday (WHAT HOLIDAY?!?!), forgive me if I get a tad bit incensed. Look, I've become very used to my schedule. I get off at 10 or 10:30 a.m. everyday. That means I'm accustomed to being to walk into just about any store or restaurant and get immediate, fast service. I've gotten to the point where I get annoyed if I'm forced to SHARE a salesperson. The horror!! It's one of the few good things about the schedule and you have to enjoy them when they appear.

Now the place where this whole holiday thing becomes the most annoying is gym. WHAT ARE YOU DOING!?!? I really, really enjoy being able to walk in and pick which elliptical machine and always get my favorite (the last one in the 2nd row, directly in front of the fan (which isn't why I like it) because it is equidistant between the 6 televisions and I can see all of the tvs, like at work, and swivel my head between ESPN, CBS, CNN, and Fox News. I wish 4 of the tvs weren't on the same 2 channels (ESPN & CBS) because then I'd be able to watch even more, but that's neither here nor there) or my second favorite (the one to the left of that, not quite equidistant, but still allows me to see all 6 televisions).

Yesterday (like most other holidays), I walked in and was accosted by the sight of EVERY SINGLE ELLIPTICAL BEING OCCUPIED BY A SWEATY OR FUTURELY SWEATY BODY!! Son of a!!! Since 4th of July is smack in the middle of the week this year, I found a similar situation on Monday, except one of my least favorite machines (at the end of the 2nd row, where you're passed by every single person walking to the treadmills AND can only clearly see 3 tvs, I mean WHAT IS THE POINT?!?!). I got on, then became so annoyed that before even starting a single revolution, got off, walked to the other side to the bikes and found not a single good magazine. I walked upstairs to the indoor track and began walking. Both days there were too many bodies. I decide to use the weight machines and free weights because I just don't have the patience. It was like going on a Saturday morning. Ugh.

I didn't even get to the full enjoyment of my new playlist! (Speaking of which, I'm always down for new music to workout to, so give me some suggestions!!) If you must go to the gym on your vacation, GO AT YOUR REGULAR TIME so as not to disturb me. Is that so much to ask?

14 comments:

CNEL said...

I am understanding what you mean. There are days when I work 9:30 to 7, days when I go in a little later, weekends when I have to work. Finally understanding what you have always talked about as far as a crazy schedule. I run errands, do the barber midday now precisely to avoid the hassle.

Oh and I read the natl wires, or features just for a laugh.

Ladynay said...

This whole post was FUN-NY!!!!! LOL

*Tanyetta* said...

YOU are tooooooo funny! Love it!

Miz JJ said...

Hilarious. That is why I go to the gym early in the morning. To avoide the crowds.

Jarrod said...

Definitely worked on the 4th of July. I've worked every holiday this calendar year. Holla at me. And for all you people who wer out tanning while me and Jam were working, I got one word for you...melanoma. Look it up.

Jameil said...

cnel.... oh to work at 9:30. 9:30?!?! that's damn near night to me. i LOVE the wires.

lady and tanyetta :)

jj... i know! and then they pop up stealin all the machines in the am just b/c they're off!! MOVE!!!! going in the afternoon is cool, too.

jarrod... LMAO!! love it. LOVE IT! MEL-A-NO-MA!

Unknown said...

LOL! I totally thought of going to the gym today but I figured it'd be packed with folks trying to work off all those ribs they ate yesterday. Reading this made me so glad I stayed home!

Little Brown Girl said...

LMAO!! This entire post was HELAREEUS!!! But ummmm I'ma need you to let us enjoy our moments of freedom. Thats all we have in this world. A few sporadic days where someone decided it was a good enough day for us to not have to work...I LIVE FOR THOSE!!

BK said...

LMAO

Organized Noise said...

I can relate. My new position came with a shift change. Now I will be able to go into the gym when its empty (9:30 in the morning) as opposed to when its packed (5pm). I'm looking forward to it.

Jameil said...

liz... i'm SO glad i could help. for real. if i saved one person, this post was worth writing!! lololol

rd... hey live it up but do it somewhere where it doesn't impact me! is that so much to ask???

noisy... you will love it. i'm tellin ya.

Organized Noise said...

You were so right, I did enjoy it. Was in the gym at 9:20 this morning and there were only 3 people in there with me. I was on the stairclimber watching SportsCenter on one tv, CNBC on another and VH1 on the third. It was great.

Jameil said...

told you.

Nikita T. Mitchell said...

SO feelin you with the stay home thing. My experience isn't exactly the same but at the same time I love going early in the morning cuz I get the perfect treadmill or elliptical right in front of my desired TV screens!