4.08.2011

Old Man Moves

My boyfriend's really REALLY old in case you didn't know.  We have to get married soon because I can't marry a 40yo man.  Yes, I realize I will step on the toes of some of my readers with this post.  Wear steel toed boots.  I'll wait.  Ready?  Okay!
1) Explaining a party line.  For the rest of you youngins, you could pay approximately 99 cents/minute to call a number and talk to a bunch of random strangers.
2) Rapping "A Children's Story" by Slick Rick to your girlfriend while she prompts you to continue.  If it was a book it'd be a page-turner!
3) While we're on music, explaining all the lyrics to every song she was too young to know/understand all the words to... i.e. anything circa the late 80s and early to mid 90s.  Phrases like "cold lampin" (chilling as if leaning against a lamp post) and "run your jewels" (getting robbed).
4) Anytime he talks about songs from my childhood as hits in the club.  Guaranteed blank stare.  It's rare for me to be shocked by it but the first time I heard him talk about jammin to Biggie or Outkast or something at parties, I was like, "HOW OLD WERE YOU????"  He said, "College."  Worse is when he says I was out of college by then.  I wasn't even in high school!  You old, son!
5) Seeing classic movies in the theater... sometimes before I was born.  "Rocky III" (1982) & "Rocky IV" (1984), "ET" (1984), "Ghostbusters" (1984), "Back to the Future" (1985) .
6) He watched the Challenger explode live and is still traumatized.
7) He remembers when the world was gonna be destroyed by the Soviet Union.
8) He remembers when John Lennon (1980) and Ronald Reagan (1981) got shot... both happened before I was born.

Really, it's like dating a living history book.

13 comments:

Sha Boogie said...

I totally called a (free) party line as a teen! Then, I thought it was all kinds of fun and hilariousness and even met one or two people off of it. Now, I'm scared for my younger self that I was crazy enough to do that, HA!

Not So Anonymous said...

I'm over here rolling. He should do a guest post titled Young Lady Moves, LOL.

Anonymous said...

I had no idea Rah was that old, for some reason I just assume all bloggers are my age, we wont' say what that is but you know. Lol

Go

K. Rock said...

This is what you get for dating an old man! Wait, I guess I can't call him old. I may be closer in age to him than you. SO I need to go over to his blog and get on him for dating a spring chicken. Yeah...that's what I'll do...

Nerd Girl said...

I don't have any steel toed boots! Maybe I'll use my next social security check to get a pair...

Rashan Jamal said...

HAAAAAA!!! Let's not forget watching TV til TV went off... And remembering before Black people were able to have videos on MTV. That's why I have a huge 80's pop rock folder in my iTunes. We listened to Duran Duran, b/c we couldn't have our videos on TV.

Anonymous said...

Damn woman! *lol* I must be on your list too. I've gotta blog about my party line experience. Slick Rick is on the best storytellers of all time. Yep, watched Challenger explode live while in elementary school, assembled in the library. And I owned an Atari! So there YOUNG lady! Like K. Rock, I'm closer in age to Rashan than to you.

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

Look youngster you ain't gotta be rollin through here making folks who ain't old feel old cause you're an infant! LOL!

Having an older boyfriend has it's benefits. Being introduced to non main stream old school rap and enjoying it was a blast I feel like I know a lot. And I love the laid back style of an older dude.#youlucky LOL!

I'm perfectly spaced between the two of ya'll but I ain't tellin...

Gorgeous_Puddin said...

...and what about how much they care about your car?? Checking the oil, tires making sure gas is in it...girl! lol

Sparkling Red said...

Let me guess: is he a 1972 baby like I am? I remember most of that stuff, although I wasn't down with hip-hop terminology and I didn't go see any Rocky movies. I DID see Star Wars in a theatre. I was too young to understand any of it, but I was there and I am proud of it!

I like being a living history book. The older I get the more I understand, and the more interesting world events and history become in context. It's very cool.

Jameil said...

sha... lolol your poor crazy younger self!

nsa... lololol i'm sure it's coming.

go... lolol nope! that dude is OLD!

k... I totally didn't mean to date an old dude! HE TRAPPED ME!! i'm gonna guess you're closer to his age. OLD LADY! oops! lolol

NG... Get some geritol while you're at it!

rj... YOU ARE SO OLD!! Oh and Y'ALL! He also went to Freaknik FOUR TIMES!!! He's so... what? OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrsTDJ... LOL Hey old lady!

gp... youngster? if you're not telling your age, you're not allowed to call me a youngster!!!! i don't need rap so no thanks. rashan most DEFINITELY does not care about my car. AT ALL.

red... 74! LOL Be proud! I like old people because they are living history! You guys are a-ok in my book!

Babs said...

Consider my toes fully stepped on.

I remember when MTV premiered!

Jameil said...

LOL. Sorry Babs!