My boyfriend's really REALLY old in case you didn't know. We have to get married soon because I can't marry a 40yo man. Yes, I realize I will step on the toes of some of my readers with this post. Wear steel toed boots. I'll wait. Ready? Okay!
1) Explaining a party line. For the rest of you youngins, you could pay approximately 99 cents/minute to call a number and talk to a bunch of random strangers.
2) Rapping "A Children's Story" by Slick Rick to your girlfriend while she prompts you to continue. If it was a book it'd be a page-turner!
3) While we're on music, explaining all the lyrics to every song she was too young to know/understand all the words to... i.e. anything circa the late 80s and early to mid 90s. Phrases like "cold lampin" (chilling as if leaning against a lamp post) and "run your jewels" (getting robbed).
4) Anytime he talks about songs from my childhood as hits in the club. Guaranteed blank stare. It's rare for me to be shocked by it but the first time I heard him talk about jammin to Biggie or Outkast or something at parties, I was like, "HOW OLD WERE YOU????" He said, "College." Worse is when he says I was out of college by then. I wasn't even in high school! You old, son!
5) Seeing classic movies in the theater... sometimes before I was born. "Rocky III" (1982) & "Rocky IV" (1984), "ET" (1984), "Ghostbusters" (1984), "Back to the Future" (1985) .
6) He watched the Challenger explode live and is still traumatized.
7) He remembers when the world was gonna be destroyed by the Soviet Union.
8) He remembers when John Lennon (1980) and Ronald Reagan (1981) got shot... both happened before I was born.
Really, it's like dating a living history book.