3.14.2009

Facebook Thwarts Reunion

Sounds like a headline, right? Dude. I never thought I would be this person. You know the one who eschews a high school reunion. I always thought I would LOVE to come back and see those people I knew back then, once again, ever 10 years. Then I went to Hampton. I didn't hate high school. I was pretty well-known. I was drum major in the marching band, captain of the debate team. Sounds pretty nerdy, huh? But I was never picked on. I had too much attitude. Shocking, right? Lol.

But at Hampton, the first week, the first DAY eclipsed everything I had done in the last 3 years of high school. I wish I was exaggerating, but I'm not. I walked into my dorm room, sat in the window and said, "Oh my gosh, Mommy! Look at all the black people!!" She said, "Girl, hush and get out that window and help unload this car!" Hilarious. I was thinking, "Wow... this is better than everything I experienced in high school. How could I have possibly been apprehensive about this??" I knew my middle school friends would be around but I quickly decided I had little desire to see anyone from high school before the reunion. I skillfully and willfully avoided them, convinced that part of my life was past and now my job was to continue to grow the fabulosity until the 10-year reunion when I could come back and say, "How ya like me now, snitches?? Even better, right!?!?"

Enter Facebook. In the last several weeks I have added at least 25-30 people from elementary, middle and high school to my page. Many of them are still BFF with the same people they were BFF with at whatever time in my life I knew them. Many of them also still live in Charlotte. This bores me. You peaked in high school? It makes me not want to go back. I see what you're doing with your life. You're married with kids living in the same neighborhood in which you were raised. I'm not interested. My 10-year high school reunion is NEXT YEAR (ack) and I really have little desire to attend. Bo.ring. Don't let there be ANYTHING else interesting happening at the same time anywhere else in the world.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel you Jameil. I had no interest in going to my high school reunion many years back. Many people I went to high school with peaked in high school and never left charlotte AND they still hang with the same BFFs. The only differnce is they have bank accounts. I had the same aha moment went to college. Many of my Facebook reunions have been with people I went to college with or people I went to high school with that went to the same college. Mainly those hs friends I didn't become close to until we got to college.

good post.

Sparkling Red said...

I still have a couple of friends from my younger years, but if those were the only friends I had I'd worry about myself. And I went to my 10-year high school reunion in 2001 - what a depressing waste of time! Never again.

Adei von K said...

geez, 2010 is right around the corner.

I want to go just to see who blossomed and who didn't.

Momisodes said...

I skipped out on my 10-year reunion as well for many of the same reasons. I was over 3,000 miles away from that past life and moving in a different direction from so many others that would be there. I heard that statistically, over 50% of Americans reside within just a few miles from where they were born.

Anonymous said...

My 5 year is this year and I am debating going back. I recently saw a few kids from my school and they are still behaving the same way. Nothing has changed. Plus, all the people I liked in school I actually keep up with. If I want to talk to you, I will call.

Jameil said...

m.e... so wiggity wack. i think i'll go back but i'm surprised by my feelings of ambivalence.

red... yeah i think i'll go to one.

adei... i know! that was why i was going but now i've seen fb and know.

momisodes... i thought it was less than that! goodness!

epsi... my college has a 5yr but not h.s. excellent point. i'm getting to the point where there is no one i want to talk to from h.s.