2.01.2012

Get Your Guns!

My mom lives in the suburbs of Charlotte. In the 25 years that she's been there, literally thousands of people have moved within 5 miles. I wouldn't be surprised if it was near 10,000 with the number of housing developments that have popped up. It's only 20 minutes from downtown and I can see the skyline from the entrance to the neighborhood on a clear day. But her house is also less than two miles from the next county over... a very rural county. I felt pretty cool running over the county line on my first ever 5.5-mile run yesterday! ... But not for long.

To recap, near the country, but definitely a large suburb of the city. So you might understand why I'd be a LEEEETLE bit upset when I'm on my run and a kid on a bike rides past me toting a package. He's no more than 12 and what do I see when I take a closer look? The butt of a rifle peeking out from under his arm.

WHAT?! 

It's 5 o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon and this unsupervised kid is riding around with a rifle under his arm!! I was shook. There was a constant stream of traffic on this well-traveled road AND yet... he could probably get away if he decided to turn around and get in a little target practice on the runner... you know... ME. But why was twitter COMPLETELY unfazed when I related this yesterday? I got ZERO responses. I hate all of them. Get mad, everybody! I theoretically almost died! (This wouldn't have been a problem if I could be more like the rest of the women in my state.)

6 comments:

K. Rock said...

Lol! I must have been absent when you relayed it to the Twitterverse. I find it funny that you are so appalled by their behavior. On my Sunday run we run past some of the Ga. Tech frat houses and last sunday a few of them were out throwing malatov cocktails and filming it. Crazy white boys! I got the heck up outta there before they decided to light me on fire.

Mrs Count said...

I didn't see it when you first posted it, or I would have been outraged with you. I love a good drama moment. Now please go get yourself a weapon.

Nerd Girl said...

LOL! I didn't see this on the Twitter yesterday. You'd better start running with nunchucks or something. And by something - I mean a gun!

Trish said...

You'd be amazed. I go to the range often and there are kids in there my nieces age. I was appalled at first but now I just know to expect it. Kids are using good like they are video games. I am worried for our futures at times....

Jameil said...

rose... i have no idea where he was going. that was my issue. and his parentlessness! i don't really think things are getting out of hand so much as that little boy was way too comfortable riding around like that.

k... that's funny??? an unsupervised 12yo w/a rifle??? this was a white kid, too. let me send him to your neighborhood!

mrscount... THANK YOU!! I gotta stay strapped.

ng... Right!?

trish... I'm from the south. I'm fine with kids being safely exposed to guns. I'm not cool with them riding around with them unsupervised. That's how things happen that make parents say "we don't know what happened!" The future will take care of itself. Kids have been exposed to guns as long as they've been around.

MrsTDJ said...

Of course you know I'm not on da twitter, but I'd have been shocked and scared too. WTH???