6.16.2009

Done with Donna

From a recent NYTimes article:

Asked if she was pleased to see the new talent being recognized, DonnaKaran said, “Thanks for telling me, I hadn’t noticed.” No, really, she said, the industry has collectively made efforts to welcome new businesses in fashion, promoting mentoring and networking programs through the council in recognition of the need for fresh talent.

“We’re all young,” Ms. Karan said, “In fashion, nobody grows old.”
Except you... Burn. This article was all about how those in the fashion industry tried to prop themselves up at their annual awards show despite the recession's effects on them. Was not that first response snarky? Did not it deserve the burn? Methinks it did.

Oh but this is not the first from Ms. DKNY. What really sparked this vitriol from me is her comments with others from the fashion crybabies oldies several months ago during my first lady's much fashion-touted trip abroad to England and France (in which I was SO excited that she looked better than former model-turned-first lady of France, Carla B.runi). They were upset she was wearing unknowns and J.Crew on her trip. I was pissed, but just let my anger reside on my line sister's page when she wrote about it. But now this? Let's recap what she said about the Europe trip and the worst remarks. "I hope and believe that this is just a moment," she said. "And I hope to be able to dress her, and not only dress her but address her, sit down - I'm interested in her totality as a woman."

Excuse you? That is a GROWN woman. Not a child who will just "outgrow" her fashion choices. She can AND WILL wear what she wants and look good doing it. At least DK tinged her comment with some hope and (probably possibly) fake admiration. I love Oscar de laRenta's clothes but I'm going to have to one day pass on them after this, "I don't object to the fact that Mrs.Obama is wearing JCrew to whatever because the diversity of America is what makes this country great. But there are a lot of great designers out there. I think it's wrong to go in one direction only.... You don't...go to Buckingham Palace in a sweater." Face. ARE YOU SERIOUS!? And what does diversity have to do with anything!?

And the least relevant? VeraWang, "I love seeing young designers and their vision and how they grow... On the other hand, I wish she would consider some of us, because I think we also have contributions to make." Have you seen your clothes? I wouldn't wear them, either. You should really stick to wedding dresses. AND I DON'T EVEN LIKE THOSE.

But really, tell me, why do you think this will work? Do you really think by "shaming" her she'll cave to your demands and wear your clothes? You must not know black women. Create something wearable or at least relevant and you wouldn't have to beg for her business. She didn't ask for that job, but guess what? She's pretty good at it and looks good doing it. Don't talk about my first lady!!! I hope she never wears any of your clothes, ESPECIALLY YOU OSCAR!! I know I won't. (Maybe Oscar...)

5 comments:

Adei von K said...

she wants to address her??!? and WHO ARE YOU?!?!
Donna, go find a corner in New York and sit there.

Vera. never. NEVER liked her. ESPECIALLY don't like her after her comments. Please don't grovel under the pretense of being a know-how in the fashion world. "I wish she would consider some of us... we also have contributions" well, when you get off your designing high horse, MAYBE she'll consider you. she is a woman of the people and she will wear J.Crew if she wants. go dress some ego-inflated celebrities or sarah palin. she likes over priced things.

Oscar. I like him. We'll say his old school mind set made him say that. Granted, Shel is a grown woman but i wouldn't have worn a cardi either... I'm just saying...

Momisodes said...

W.o.W.

I am utterly speechless, and mortified. From that first statement you quoted, until the end of this post.

Jameil said...

adei... sigh. for real. never been a vera fan either. i like oscar too and i'm figuring he just feels like as long as he's been around he can say whatever he wants. i probably wouldn't have worn a cardi either before that but did you see the queen lovin her some mich? mmm hmm.

momisodes... ME TOO!!!

1969 said...

Mrs. O can wear whatever she wants to. She always looks flawless and pulled together because she is true to her own personal style.

If she likes Jason Wu and other fresher designers then good for her.

Donna Karan, Vera Wang (whose line at Kohls is hideous) and Oscar can all go sit down somewhere.

She represents the American woman fabulously by being comfortable in her skin, being intelligent and classy.

cue the music "Hi Haters"

Wifey615 said...

Hi Haters is the Truth.
When i read the article I was like 'Really now'? Just a darn shame is what it is. Must not deal with too many brown folks to know that that talking down to ish doesn't really work too well :)