5.13.2006

ROOMIE!!

Ok so you guys gave some excellent suggestions after my lamenting post which Miss Ashli scolded me about. She said you can't post about not wanting to post. But why not? Now that's some bullsh*t!! Don't you want to know if your beloved mellymell will not be around? i think you do. matter of fact i know you do. folks need to know!

So I decided I will write about roommates and begin a second series. This one about the life and times of the hamptonian known as jameil while matriculating at the good ole h of u.

You know how when you go to college everyone tells you not to room with your best friend b/c you'll end up hating each other? Well, coming from Charlotte, I knew no one going to Hampton. So that wasn't even an issue. My mom is a Hampton alumna, so I knew alumni in the Charlotte area. One of them had a daughter who was a senior my freshman year. Didn't really know her. Could recognize her on the street but didn't go in really knowing her.

Entered the dreaded "draft" to get a roommate. Ended up with Autumn, now known as the "O.R." (original roommate). The university sent each of us the contact info for the other. We got to know each other throughout the summer via email and prepared ourselves mentally to live in Kelsey Hall. When we got there we were directed to Stone. That's right. The building where you get mail that was for transfers and temporary housing. Except most everyone knew that but us. We completely unpacked and were told to move within the week. They wanted to split us up but we fought tooth and nail against that. She braided hair (probably for most of the freshman class). Freshman year was the year EVERYONE rocked braids, including the b.f. Soooo original.

So autumn told this dude rashad she would braid his hair for free if he got some of his friends to help us move. He brings harold, d, corey and marcus. i had already enlisted alex. i met him b/c his now sister-in-law clerked at the firm my mom used to work for. it took us an hour to move. LMAO!! everyone was like, how the hell did y'all get movin men? we got it like that. act like you know. so anyway. we moved to twitchell and there was some girl in our room. so we went to get that straightened out and ended up getting moved to virginia cleveland. VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV-C! CUTIES!! (hampton thing). don't ask why we repped our dorms so hard. i think it was an effort to bond the classes and make you attach yourself to the university. that and the whole class unity thing. "Q-U-I-N-T-E-S-S-E-N-C-E, Quintessence Five. Q-T-V!" "I love I love I love my Q-T-V!" i could really go on forever so i'll just stop now.

so we stayed together. she was cool. but b/c of her hair braiding, she got a million calls a day. it was so annoying being her damn secretary. and she would get stalkers. like the dude who called himself "lil ray ray" who was subsequently kicked out of school sophomore year for allegedly raping some girl. i say allegedly only because i can't remember if he was convicted. i know he was kicked out of school. i know he creeped me out. and i wanted to shake and choke him b/c he would call 5xs a day. i would be like hey stupid she ain't here!! like i told you 20 minutes ago!!! loser.

she moved off campus sophomore year. i stayed on. lottery again. this time i got a jersey girl. she was fun but she listened to music at MACH 10!! there would be days i was studying, no music and she would walk in and start blastin her music? what the hell? i don't get it. and she smoked. cigarettes. in the room. that is not allowed in the dorms. clearly. people would walk by my room like what the hell?!! a good thing: i got her liking a UGK song by the time she moved out! and introed her to 36 mafia before the oscars! ha! :)

that was my first of 3 years in good ol dubois hall. it was also the year i was coming into myself. no longer terrified i would flunk out. met the crew who i still keep in touch with including cc, deaconness troy aka down south georgia girl (dsgg), miss ashli, stace, michelle, morgan (my bmore girl). also met my former drinking partner who i no longer keep in touch with. i used to sneak my male friends in after hours all the time. it was one of my best years at hampton hands down.

she moved off and i wouldn't have lived w/her anyway. and i don't think she would've lived w/me either. lottery AGAIN! junior year i ended up w/a smelly girl who left food containers out. people would walk in my room like wth?!! funky. for real. she would have a trail of gummy bears from the door to the bed. what?! a trail? of gummy bears?! i don't get it. were you that hungry? are you trying to give the roaches directions? whatever. that semester i had abnormal psychology with kristen and joellen (also known as classy jojo). i had heard joellen's loud mouth and was absolutely not impressed. at all. then one night happened to go out w/her and some other people (the night i lost half my big toenail) and was so in love! (no homo. i think that phrase is hilarious!) that's my dog!! i love joellen! she's freakin hilarious!

so anyway. my roommate would also sit on her bed silently with her friend. they would listen to my phone conversations then use them for the basis of their own conversations, or comment. wth?! i'm not talking to you!!!!!!!!! kristen's roommate did the same thing. so we decided to move in together. the first week she had a nasty weeklong break up screaming at the top of her lungs, crying, stomping around, all that. i was like what the hell did i get myself into?! luckily. she was a great roomie after that. we both loved cnn headline news, ghetto FABULOUS music, food, not talking in the morning until you're walking out the door. it was great. best roommate ever. i will be going to her graduation for her master's in speech pathology at loyola university in baltimore next week. go roomie!!

she became an r.a. the next year. lottery AGAIN!! oh btw. if you're wondering why i didn't live w/some of these great friends, its because i would've killed them if i had to live w/them. and murder is bad. it ruins the friendship. the next year i get this sophomore who calls herself sheezy. this stupid bitch. everytime she had an issue w/me she would call her mom and have her tell me the problem. wtfh?!! so i wanted to shake and choke that loser. her mom tried to get me kicked out the room. then miss g (the dorm director oh so cool) was like, "you can't ask her to move out when your daughter can't even talk about her problems. if she has such a problem, she needs to move out." so she did! room to myself from thanksgiving, for the rest of senior year! yessssssss!! so that's it. that's my roommate story.

38 comments:

Not Your Average Chimichanga said...

Line of The Year: "were you that hungry? are you trying to give the roaches directions?"

i'm still LMAO!!

Chris said...

I hated all my roommates but maybe two, so your words about living with other folks in college are a lot kinder than mine will ever be.

Jameil said...

j... ha! sometimes these gems pop out and i don't even realize the hilariousity until someone points them out.

chris... but you know. after the fact, everything matters a lot less. you're too connected to it right now. altho i did see sheezy last year at homecoming and i looked at her like, "ugh. stupid. you think you'll be an atty when you can't even speak up for yourself to someone you live with."

Jameil said...

i just realized my title makes no sense. "All me, All the Time." What was i thinking when it came to the capitals? i don't think i was. but why would i capitalize time but not me? if i remember correctly, i thought, hmmmm me shouldn't be capitalized. but i could be lyin. but why would i subsequently capitalize time? i think it was an oversight. but i'm starting to think perhaps i will change the name of the blog. a la karamale and dsands. i am open to suggestions i probably will not take. hahahahahahahahha. i crack myself up.

Anonymous said...

I like two of my roommates currently. We have had some insane nights, ie carrying couches for 3 blocks bc they were drunk. The arrest situation that is on my blog. This year was a good year. I just have one roommate who is a lil weird. I will talk about it later.

4EverJennayNay said...

twice i lived with friends. i wont do it again.

the first time it ended in a mess because she decided two weeks before we had to be out that she wanted to move in with someone else. Talk about HOT. I had two weeks to find another place to live. two weeks to come up with the money to live alone. would not have been as bad if we had not had the convo several times over about if we were to live together another year. at one point i did have another room mate lined up just in case.... We haven't been tight at all since.

Rell said...

nothing worse then those darn cancer sticks and a roommate. That's cause for a murder right there (just joking) :-).

Mrs A. said...

i only had 3 good roommates...the rest (inlcuding a prior friend) were the pits. many fights, RA calls, and newpaper write-ups ensued...and i was a local celeb...AHHH...the good ol days!!!

So...Wise...Sista said...

Damn...you good!
I had one roommate all 4 yrs, Gay Bartender, who has been my friend since 4th grade. I knew it was a mistake...but she convinced me that at a big white school we might end up with roommates from hell. And sure enough...just as she can sometimes be the friend from hell, living with her spoiled azz was sometimes a mess. Took some years apart for us to be cool again.

But I just can't get over the conditions that some schools put kids thru...like 3 and 4 roommates at once, tiny Comfort Inn style dorm with beds side by side, and the absolute wort I can imagine: BUNK BEDS! With complete and utter stranger. Oh.Hell.NO!

Ladynay said...

Thank GOD I've never stayed in a dorm!LOL

theurbanista said...

girl, why didn't you ever prearrange your roomies? you have better random roommate stories than me. i have had some good and bad situations.

Waddie G. said...

no one can tell you what to post about...I enjoyed the honesty about your writer's block.

Waddie G. said...

roommates...can't fuck with them...maybe with one of my best friends, but I'm too picky after my experiences

CNEL said...

"she was fun but she listened to music at MACH 10!! there would be days i was studying, no music and she would walk in and start blastin her music? what the hell?"

I had one of those, no two of those, freshman and sophomore year.


"we both loved cnn headline news, ghetto FABULOUS music, food, not talking in the morning until you're walking out the door."

I need one of them type roommates here in Baltimore, give me my space, and respect my privacy.

I really thought I was the only one who insisted on silencio before I was ready to roll out.
I'm on a mission, so we gots to keep it moving.

then miss g (the dorm director oh so cool) was like, "you can't ask her to move out when your daughter can't even talk about her problems. if she has such a problem, she needs to move out."

I swear I met Ms. G when I had to visit the Scripps Howard School, def think I met this woman, or her clone. I can't remember the building I visited tho.

Jameil said...

epsi... 2 of your roomies?!! wth? how many do you have?!

jenn... see what i mean?

rell i thought i didn't like cigs before i can't STAND them now.

miss a... newspaper write ups?! dish! spill it girl, spill it.

wise... they have some of those nightmarishly small rooms at hu. don't make no sense.

lady... but you know, living in a dorm made me who i am. and i wouldn't know any of my crew if i hadn't lived there soph. yr. most of us lived on the 3rd floor together. and were damn near inseparable the next 3 years.

lime... i told you, i couldn't stay w/my friends if i wanted to stay friends. i needed to be able to leave them. we would drive ea. other nutty.

prof... nah dog i needed some help!

cnel... sorry if i gave you the impression she respected my privacy!! b/c she sure did not!!! lmao!! that's my girl but she was nosy as all get out. always in my bizness. but that wasn't a problem b/c we were friends.

miss g probably wasn't in scripps, but i'm sure you could've met her there somewhere.

Anonymous said...

I have placed the pics up. Check them out

Toni "Turtle Dove" Phoenix said...

I feel like I missed out on the dorm experience. But instead I was in an apartment complex with nothing but college kids. UCF-ers. drunk WBs, sorority WGs, loud but tolerated black folks. Actually, it was kinda hot. parties everywhere. the scent of smoke in the air. thats what happens when there's no hall monitors... or police roaming around. Memories...

Adei von K said...

I didn't know you had a room to yourself senior year!? That's awesome! Tene! I liked her! She reminds me of Teedra Moses lol
My freshman roomie started out cool...then she became a head monster at a white house party...pass! Soph..remember tiffany first semester? the weird engineering major? Then i had hattie mcgrew to myself for weeks and shanta came! I loved her!

Anonymous said...

I ended up rooming by myself freshman year.

Let's call him ImsoprettyIaintgottasleepbymyself


Then it was the great club 1533, a story all its own.

I think women struggle with the whole friend/roomate thing more than men.

Karamale said...

why hbcu's the only schools where the dorms represent? at famu, i was unfortunate enough to get condemned to paddyfote my freshman year, and was initiated into the "foot clan".

lol @ o-aruh. coloreds love to reduce shit to letters, don't they?

Adei von K said...

Karamele- you're a foot soldier?!?! They rep so hard b/c of dorm stepshows. I was fortunate not to stay in a dorm at FAM but at HU, I'm a Kennedy Queen FOREVER!
I heard abt TWC and the rumor is McGuin Diamond chicks become greek (one of the BAs)

Anonymous said...

wait...im a rattler from the 80s...i was in Gibbs...(one of the few freshmen so lucky) but we didnt go that hard...when did that stuff start?

Karamale said...

stacie von k - i remember the dorm stepshows, and you're right...it does seem like m/d always pledged beta alpha something and twc either did zphib, sgrho, or mephime. sadly, i'd have to say i was at famu when it was really on the ball: mid-to-late 90s. it's sad on two accounts - one, because shit really wasn't all that great and two, so much potential has been lost since hump was forced out.

dp - were you in gibbs before or after they remodeled it? that makes all the difference, especially with regard to roach population levels. i didn't get to the hill until 95, but i think the dorm step shows during homecoming had been around for a couple years by that time.

RATTLAZ REPREZENT!

thas right.
we gon' skrike.

Jameil said...

epsi... love the pics!!!!

toni... i wouldn't give up my experience for the world!! love it!! plus we had the harbors if we had the need to apt. hop to parties. but please believe the stupid locals who would live there would call the cops. why on EARTH would you live DIRECTLY across the street from a college campus if you don't like noise? stupid.

stace... i barely remember the tiffany girl. she was strange. how is shanta.

you, karamale and dp!!! cease and desist immediately w/that rattler b.s.!!!!! no ghetto school representers over here!!! next we'll have norfolk state tryin to join the party. then folks get shot and debauchery will abound. LMAO!!

dp... women DEFINITELY go thru more roommate drama. look. just live over there. we ain't gotta be friends. i figured that out after soph yr. cordial is cool but friends ain't necessary. dudes are much better w/that. girls gotta start too much drama. and talk too much. SHUT UP!!!

Anonymous said...

Shoulda known Bougie HU folk would get all persnickety...


I was in Gibbs 88-89 hell it was freshly refurbished THEN?...they screwed it all that fast?

I lost track of the trials and tribulations of FAMU after about 96 when all my classmates finally graduated...i know they ran Hump..isnt the new Pres white or something?

Jameil said...

dp *middle finger*

Don't Oppress Me said...

Statement of the Year:
'This stupid bitch.'

Oh, that was The Funniness!

Karamale said...

dp - WE ghetto and jameil's over here throwing up gang signs.

Anonymous said...

she been in Pgh too long Kara...its in her blood.

Jameil said...

oppressed... ha!! that's great!! hampton crew classic.

dp... NEVER!!!!! ugh!! what is wrong w/you?!! pittsburgh in my blood? i've only been here 10 months!! there's no way! geez. i got scurred for a second.

karamale.. whatchu talkin bout? nut. but i'm glad you're back b/c i was starting to think you didn't love me anymore and then i got a complex and it was just so messy.

Sherlon Christie said...

I'm voting for you as blogger of the year (and I know it is only May).

Jameil said...

ain't you just the sweetest?! lol

Anonymous said...

J...how else do you explain gang signs from an HU grad?

Jameil said...

that's enough outta you!!

Anonymous said...

and how you gonna leave 2035425 comments on my blog and you still stuck in last week...(i appreciate it though, dont get it twisted)

I think pittsburgh IS rubbing off on you.

and leave ya dadgum email address next time so i can smite you without the whole world seeing.

Jameil said...

shut up hater. while you're busy runnin ya mouth i was posting. so THERE!!!! i knew before i got a chance to get it up some smart ass would be running over her to be the first one to request. i told you i've had writers block (ish). actually i've just been too lazy to post something of some substance but they've been crowding my brain for weeks. geez. writing one of them just alleviated a headache. too many ideas in there.

Karamale said...

y'all so silleh.

Cluizel said...

I forgot about those weird roommates you had while we were in DuBois...I think you should haved tripped that one senior year! She was the worse!!!